Friday, September 10, 2010

Free Range Friday deja vu and the continuing crisis in Culebra transportation

Somehow I put Friday into Thursday and it wasn't Friday yet...ok, today really IS Friday. I think. Actually, I'm sure, because last night I should have been taking photos of the dinner I made, but I didn't. Of course. I only have one shot and that is of Dan, a friend of Michelle and Ryan's, trying to put a lot more homemade peach ice cream into a container than the container was meant to hold. A guy thing. He was proud.

Dan's a tall guy, I had to take the photo crooked...on purpose

The pot next to him was used for the artichokes and then the spaghetti I made. Spaghetti and white clam sauce, artichokes and a salad, the perfect post soccer scrimmage meal, even if Grayson wasn't enthralled with the artichokes. Yet.



I can't remember if I've ever posted about my Dad's spaghetti and clam sauce before, but I think I'll wait until I do remember to photograph it, as I have no doubt my son and I will be making it in California, and Sarah and I in Portland, Oregon. It's just one of those things they want...and it's good!

This is Sloane in her 'School Picture Day' shirt and face.


I'm pretty sure she left off the jacket though...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Culebra news that is really important to read and act on:

If you don't already know it, Culebra is in a serious transportation crisis. With broken ferries, shut down airlines, a damaged dock on the main wharf (from Hurricane Earl), getting to and from the mainland has been iffy on any schedule for months. This has obviously affected every aspect of life on the island, from tourism to food and fuel supplies. It isn't as if we are in the middle of the ocean surrounded by hundreds of miles of water...but the lack of action on the part of the government would suggest we are. 

This is an email from Terrie, co-owner of Palmetto Guesthouse - I strongly urge you to act on behalf of the entire island of Culebra, as well as for the sake of our visitors (that includes our visiting vets, doctors and dentists).

Good morning,
 
As we are all aware, the current transportation crisis is affecting us all in Culebra.

I called Congressman Pierluisi's office & spoke with Frances Agosto (the congressman's scheduler) at 202-225-2615.

She also gave me the contact info. for Pere Carro, the transportation staffer for the congressman: pere.carro@mail.house.gov .

Perhaps if we all begin to call/email re: the transportation situation something will get done.

Please pass along the info. to anyone that you believe can assist!

Thanks!
Terrie

Palmetto Guesthouse
http://www.palmettoculebra.com



2 comments:

  1. Hey MJ! Just tried to send off my letter about Culebra transport and it came back that the message could not be delivered. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm not there, best to contact Terrie...I'm sure you know her through the animal work. Thanks, Sue, you rock!

    ReplyDelete