Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beauties, Bulldozers and Birds - Culebra style

Today, well, your yesterday most likely, Daphne and Olivia, accompanied by Raquel, stopped by at the cart on their way to the library. The girls were quite insistent on letting me know they did NOT have their sunglasses, a momentary oversight Raquel was quick to fix. Because one knows one must be wearing one's sunglasses. And all slightly kidding aside, one really should. Eye protection in the tropics isn't a fashion statement as much as a must. Truly. Though obviously, fashion statement they can be.



And off to the library they go

Onward went the day, as a day does. I finished my time at the cart and headed homeward, with a stop at Happy Landings for some cocktail hour libations. In the parking lot I noticed a bulldozer and laughed to myself, thinking, that would be one way to move my dinghy (Norman wants it at his house to do the fiberglass and repair work, which is fine with me). Norman had been over the day before and realized it was a four man lifting job. But then, in front of me WAS Norman, and he told me,'We're on our way to your house to move your dinghy.' I said EXCELLENT! how? He pointed to the bulldozer. I laughed. 'You're kidding, right?' And he said 'No, we're going now.' And they did.

Karen came along and picked me up. 'If you want to see some fun, let's go!" We got there in time, barely, and this is what happened in my yard. Let me say this about that. If you have read my blog awhile, you will know; when Culebrense decide to do something, it happens. Period.





And that's how THAT was. I love Culebra! When my dinghy is glassed and I can paint its bottom and get back on the water, I'll love it even more. Life is ridiculous. Life is good.

Yes, another bird. This bird. not a hummingbird. Not a pelican. This bird has been hanging around my yard for a few years, skittish as can be. I cannot be within 30 feet of it and it's gone like a shot. But today, I was inside and I saw it through my window. It was probably about...60 feet away? Maybe more maybe less. Close enough to take a photo, inside where it didn't sense me. Score!

It found a land crab carcass, or it had made it a carcass. And then it went on to pick and peck. And then it flew away. I took way too many photos. Here they are. Well, the ones that weren't too blurry anyway.


Gulp!







What big feet you have, my dear

I got your back

So ended another Culebra day. Yes, it is Memorial Day weekend. Parties, trips, holidays. I could go on about what this remembrance is really about, and probably I will. But in the pre-actuality of it, enjoy.

Have a soldierly Saturday/Sunday. Do something special.



 
Publish Post




















3 comments:

  1. Your new friend is a yellow crowned night heron, perhaps the one that figures prominently into a Missouri story of comeuppance. I spotted one while kayaking ahead of the crowd on the Black River. Later, as we gathered on a gravel bar for lunch, I announced my good fortune, but was immediately treated as delusional by my friend, the cynic. He does that a lot... Anyway, around the next bend were three more, and three of us quietly pulled to the side and waited for Mr. Tool to come into view of the birds. His look of total sheepishness is a treasure I keep in my minds eye. Yellow crowned night herons are supreme good luck. Did you check your lottery ticket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic, classic Culebra. I love the Culebrense ingenuity! Good luck on getting the dinghy back in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the good luck part...figured it was supreme good luck to be able to take his photo from inside! Good story, as ever.

    ReplyDelete