Friday, May 2, 2014

Culebra Free Range Friday ~ Sardines of NY and How Recycling Rolls on Culebra

My meals have been consistently unexciting lately. Split pea soup (with ham hocks brought from the states, oh my!!!), basic omelets, chicken...all good but nothing to get whoop-de-doo'd about and nothing I've not posted about before. So instead I thought about the last food I've seen being cooked that made my mouth water and it wasn't hard to remember because it was only yesterday morning.

These are big fat sardines from somewhere around Long Island, New York. They are fresh, just caught off of a very foggy, very beautiful bay and then put on a very hot grill. For those of you wondering how Jim L. is doing? This is what he's doing. I wish I'd been able to be there! 


Yes, the sight of them is still making my mouth water today. Well done, Jim!

I'm pretty sure Culebra will never, ever stop making me laugh. This morning I was in town doing some errands when I smelled smoke. There was a trash can, with a plastic bottle smoking away like mad. At first I couldn't really tell what I was looking at, and then I got closer.


There was a guy at the water department who had also noticed and he brought over a cup of water to put out the burning plastic from the burning cigarette. We were both laughing, a lot, at this very clever little ashtray...except next time, guys? I'd recommend a tin can. Thanks for keeping Culebra clean, even if it sometimes (yes, I have to do this) backfires.




I don't know who puts these up, I only know it is always a good part of my day when whoever does it, does it. 



Random acts of Culebra on Culebra.



Feel the love!

Buen provecho!

Have a firewhereitshouldn'tbe free festive Friday! Do something for frivolous fun.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you 're enjoying the ham hocks. There is a box on its way to your po box that will tickle your taste buds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely enjoyed them! I felt like a spiritual person giving thanks to the pig and thanks to you two. Navy beans one time and split pea the other. Heaven. And a surprise coming! I am the luckiest woman in the world (she says again).

      Delete