Monday, May 5, 2014

Maria Andretti of Culebra

Once a year a friend comes down with friends and I get to play at being a visitor. I love this time and I'm thankful in the most laughing way. Good food, good music, time at my favorite house on Culebra beside my own, with people completely enjoyable... what's not to like? And when it is time to go home - because there aren't a lot of people here visiting (which means most of us who live here are home, not out and about)  - the road back to my own resting place is empty. 

I get to go fly driving. In a real world setting, that does not even translate, because I'm talking about flying, at 35 miles per hour, in a very old vehicle with a rollicking suspension that would make a roller coaster blush with envy. Over up down and around, I take the middle of the road because I can. 

I know no one is coming so I take the whole road, which isn't a road with much to take. I know every turn, every spot that gets narrower than one car should be allowed, let alone two. I know where the edge of the road means falling off the road and I mean really falling off, like call AAA I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up falling, except there is no Triple A there is Call a Friend oh NO, but that doesn't happen because I know where to lightly apply the brakes in my zooming, down to 10 miles an hour instead of fleet star trek 35. I have this! Because...I've also had this. All day. My brain is on zen road mode and nothing can stop me now. I'm going until I hit the gear of  slipping into sleep smiling at the end of the ride. 

The painters were busy and did a fine job all day


A pretty boat motoring by

Oh! They are stopping! They are stopping right here!

Boat guests out to play. They body surfed, they swam, they had a good time. We swam, we body surfed we walked and had a very good time.

One resident thrasher. I personally do not like thrashers but some people do. They will remain nameless. I call the thrasher a few names. monser

Yes, this photo looks just like that photo. But it is different. Really.

I was gifted with these cheeses. If you know Culebra, you know you don't get 'different' cheeses easily. But these came from the big island and were way too delicious to not share.

A coral lion lamb.

"This is such a cool shelter!" "We know, we were so lucky to find it and have no one here first!" "Do you mind if I take your photo?" "Do you want us to move?" "No! A hot guy, a beautiful girl, please stay, it's perfect." They did stay and on our way back they were gone and the structure had blown down. Thank you, whoever built this. Thank you, visiting couple. 

I saw two dogs I knew and looked for the owners. There they were...with a few friends.

Good bye, blue sailboat

The beachy people/insects creations were gone, but there are still cairns.

Many cairns


I love the big coral here.


Out on the rocks, someone(s) was busy

An arch!!!

Because I do this every year and because it was the right time and the right place and I was with the right person, we made our own cairn. For the ones unhere . With love and light.

You can't quite see the heart at the end of this, but it was there, already washing away with the tide by the time we saw it, but not gone yet. Culebra love. Yes.

A couple of years ago I took this shot and someone ordered a photo from it. It turned out badly and I said I'd take another. Well, if you still read my blog, this is for you. Get in touch!

Moving into magic light time

This is my favorite kid on Culebra right now. He hung out with us most of the day, smart and funny and just plain enjoyable. I love this guy!

Homeward zoom

Light changes everything. Don't forget it. That is St. Thomas in the background if you don't know.

Hello, moon and Venus. Or Mars. 

Good night, sun

The end of the day arrived, as it so often does, and while I usually spend the night and truly play visitor when this friend shows up (sunrise on the beach, looking for deer), I have things to do today, so it was homeward bound. An island style flight into the night. Truly good. my tongue was still burning from very delicious Jamaican jerked chicken on the grill. My heart was happy, my belly full, my soul content. A mini holiday on my own home island. Thank you, Doug, again, giving me that reminder of 'oh yeah, that's why people come here!' It may be crazy sometimes, but there is no where else I'd rather call home. 

Have a make your memories memorable Monday. Do something momentarily magical.


6 comments:

  1. I'm assuming this is the new camera, but new or old these photos are outstanding. Love the way the zoom compresses the scenes, changing the perspective. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them, and yes, it's the new camera. I'm having way too much fun! I did lose the lens cap though...apparently it popped off while we were walking...and I'm being so psycho careful! Sheesh.

      Delete
  2. Zoni Beach House! Stayed there the last week in March. I introduced myself at the Dinghy Dock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you! Yes, it's truly my favorite house, very simple with who needs much when that view is there...and the beach!

      Delete
    2. You totally transport me to Culebra! I can even smell it. Many many thanks.

      Delete
    3. My pleasure and thank you!

      Delete