Saturday, May 17, 2014

One Island, No Landline. Thank you, Claro.


As of this morning, we still do not have landline phones or internet hook up. I did a temporary work around because Free Range Friday flew and who knows how long it will be until we get it back? Not the 'one or two, maybe three hours' that the Claro guy told me - which would be annoying but hey, it happens. A whole day and night? Not so good (think, no credit machines working, no ATM, let alone no online access for those without other means, and no phones for those with no cell phones - yes, there ARE people with no cell phones). To further understanding, Claro is a monopoly phone company. Mini rant finished. 

So. Onward!

Sometimes I forget how much I like rice. It doesn't look as tempting uncooked as a pasta product, for some reason. But then, once I've played around with whatever I'm making with it, it is a struggle to not eat the whole pot right then and there. But I didn't. Really.


Olive oil, garlic, onions and one pablano pepper

Some leftover rotisserie chicken from Pincho Joe, deboned and rough cut into bite sized pieces

Yum the Smell

After the peppers, onions and garlic were soft, I put in about a cup of organic chicken broth and a beer. Yes. A beer. Bring it to a boil.
Add about a cup of rice. This was jasmine rice because it is what I had around

Put on a low heat, cover and check the rice in fifteen or twenty minutes. Is the liquid gone? Is the rice done? If not, add maybe a half cup more liquid, cover it back up and keep an eye on it.

And then it is done! If you have fresh herbs, like basil or parsley, to put on there, it's a good addition. I didn't so I didn't.

Again, don't forget to play with your food. You can make this much more complicated (which is fun),  use beef or pork, throw in tomatoes or summer squash during the saute part...you get the idea. Buen provecho!

Now we have whirled through Friday and it is time to catch up to Saturday, but actually go back a few days to my yard. It is my oasis in its somewhat orderly lack of order, as home should be when you are a slightly neat person who doesn't line things up well.

The squash have so many blossoms, the iguanas must have missed this one somehow. 

These mangoes are delighting me. I feel like my 12 year old child just won a long worked for honor. Hang in there!!

Playing with the camera

It rained on and off while in the yard. That worked for me! And the dill.


Black and white or color? I cannot decide.



Dill is a many splendoured thing. Thanks again, David and Debbie!

Have a savory Saturday. Do something sublimely satisfying. 




5 comments:

  1. You're welcome! For the dill photo, I like the B&W. Did the box I sent arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I've been lax on getting to the PO, I'll go in a little while. Thanks on the opinion as well, I like that one too. But...

      Delete
  2. I commented on this post on my phone while at our houseboat. Now, at home on the desktop, that squash blossom photo, wow! great. I love your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I LOVE my organic garlic!!!! And I got to share a few boxes with some ladies who saw my grin across the street and asked what was making me smile so much. Thank you!!!

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome. Enjoy, as I know you will.

      Delete