Sunday, May 11, 2014

Not So Simple Sunday ~ Culebra

This is one of the years when one day is chock full of reasons to celebrate, because this year, beside today being my daughter Sarah's birthday and my friend Robin's birthday and the anniversary of the day I came to Culebra, it is also Mother's Day, a day once fraught with emotional landmines, now a day I can...well. I'll add that later, first will be a slightly edited version of this day a few years back.

Today is my daughter Sarah's birthday - happy birthday, Bear!  My unexpected mini-me, she outdoes everything I taught her that was good, like being a more studious reader and a better cook, and sometimes walking the high wire higher than I ever did to terrify me to my bones... As Sarah puts it, " I love you, Mom. no matter how crazy we both are." And of course, I feel exactly the same about her. Except even more, because it is a Mama thing giving that extra dimension that never existed in my heart before she arrived on the scene. I'm glad you're in my world, Sarah - from the moment you became you in that quiet place within me.

I was supposed to get an updated photo, but since she told me she's cut her hair short again, I'll use this one!
Today is also the birthday of my oldest friend...well, she's not my OLDEST friend, but in the world of lifetime achievements, we've managed to stay in touch and heart close from the time we were 14 and I was trying to drag her into trouble. She the former cheerleader homebody, married forever, mother of four, living in one place longer than I've lived any place...me, the high school hippie chick, hopping around the earth, my three children scattered around the country, marriage long ago distanced...we've still managed to keep our friendship going. From roaring down the beach in her Mom's Super Beetle with Joni Mitchell on full blast, to her and her husband driving 1000 miles to meet Sarah when she was born (to teach me how to crochet), to having her little sister London babysit our kids while we cruised the Redneck Riviera in her Dad's 280Z...with Joni Mitchell playing full blast...eating oysters in every bar and dancing at the Hog's Breath Saloon, to staying in touch via phone and these day via internet...46 years have gone by in a tumultuous flash...and I wish you all the peace and joy and love you can stand, Rob...and bubbles on the beach too.

Happy Birthday, Robin! My favorite Robin of Spring
And then there is the Culebra celebration. Thirteen years ago today I came to Culebra for the first time. I camped at Flamenco, in a tiny little tent and met Henry, the campground guy then, who was the first person of so many that I fell in love with here, right after I'd fallen in love with Culebra. It took three days to be sure this was the place for me, and another week to grab my things from St. Croix and call Culebra home, a decision I've never regretted for a minute. Okay, maybe for a minute, every few years, but on the whole, it's still a steady love affair. Culebra has all the ingredients: she makes me laugh, and cry and be full of joy and be hair tearingly maddening, but always giving something that lets us kiss and make up. Changing and unchangable, my heart homeplace. Thank you, Culebra! This blog is for and from you - (disclaimer) from my perspective, of course!

And then, Mother's Day. My mother, being a mother, my daughter Michelle, the mother to my grandchildren, all the wonderful women who have mothered me over the years of my life. Mother Earth, giving life to us all. The new mothers here on Culebra, it's been a busy year for young women I know here, bringing in a new generation to our little island. 

Mothers here, Mothers gone, good Mothers and those who do and did the best they were able. The one we all started from, the greater one we'll all return to - give some love to a Mother today.

Have a simple Sunday. Do something with serenity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment