Saturday, September 28, 2019

Views from a New Housesitting Hill

But first! On a walk with a mission, here's a reminder to look around. Lots of things are blooming! 



If I had a yard, I would plant this in any place ground cover is needed. I can't imagine this is a wild plant here, it looks like rose moss to me and that it seems to be in these two thriving patches on the side of the road is one of those little Culebra mysteries I don't need to solve. 



The other surprise is that the photo of the flowers whose proper Latin name is firecracker flowers that I posted the other day also come in yellow. 



High up on a hill, someone is growing some glorious orchids. Any long time reader of this blog knows that the ease of growing orchids here is amazing, basically stick them in or on a shady tree, give them a good spray of water once a day (ore in the case below, whenever the Universe feels like it) and Beauty!



I was still in my looking up mode when I saw this fish, hanging on an old pipe. It looks like he's been content there for a quite awhile, long may he wave.



Ok, the main event.

It's always fun to see the island from a different perspective, something house and critter sitting gives me. With cats and dogs that are mellow, it is easy to enjoy the views. 

I got out here in mid-afternoon and the play of light on the water had me hoping for a good sunset. How good was it, MJ? You'll see.

After playing with the dogs and having some bonding time - that means me feeding them treats - we did a walkabout. I came back to get my camera, they came back to get out of the pretty intense heat. 


Late afternoon view
More playing, cat and dog dinner time, more eating - me, this time, and lots of glances at the setting sun. Of course, it's always when you turn your back for a fleeting second that the magic has occurred and there it is!



There were a lot of light permutations but you get the idea, it was pretty outstanding. 

This morning, with the sun up but the heat of the day not yet kicked in, it was altered once again, a colossal cloud overwhelming the water and town and sky. 



Looking yardward is this perfect little flamboyant tree, in the midst of shades of green. Green from the leaves, green from the grass, green from the bush beyond, protected by the browns of textured rocks once in the earth some other place. I can imagine how it must look in bloom, those brilliant flaming flowers. I can wait.



Hiding from the sun seems like a plan for today, out here in the country. After the walk above, the day before yesterday, I got back and the first person I saw thought I'd gone swimming. It wasn't a good look and that is not being self-deprecating. 

Have an un-Saharan Saturday. Do something soothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment