Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Moving Right Along

As my time in the mountains draws to a close, fall is really ramping up (no ramps though, that's a Spring thing - how to forage sustainably for them can be read about here). Every day brings brighter colors, every more than a breath of wind brings a shower of leaves letting go, returning to earth to do what leaves do if you let them. I like that much better than plastic bags full of leaves taken...somewhere. 



My daily walks get longer as it gets cooler (though today they say it will be in the 80's! I'll believe it when I feel it), but keeping an eye on things seen before is fun. 

This is what happened to the mushroom family.




Mushroom flowers!



The way they shred out as they open makes me want to try eating one so much - but I won't. I definitely need a mycologist up here someday!


This little one is still bravely blooming
My brother will be up here tomorrow and everything will change. From food to activities. I've not been off the mountain now for a few weeks, which is nothing like not being off of Culebra for a few weeks. It's been a good time of sorting things out for the next phase of the journey. I dare not say a plan because that word and I don't seem to get along very smoothly. I didn't go stir crazy. Well, except for that one night but what is wrong with singing along with Eric Clapton songs very loudly while dancing? Maybe scaring away any wild creatures for the foreseeable future but hey, there's lot of forest out here.


You just keep me hanging on...


Surprising me, no rain came from this very dramatic cloud
While out walking, I saw another tree that had broken during the storm. It wasn't in the road but it was stuck in a wedged place against another tree that eventually could have fallen and done some damage. At least, that was our story when LC tossed a line over it, secured it to the truck and pulled it down. 

Sadly, there aren't many of these particular pines left as a nasty beetle
has made inroads, killing many of them

Unfortunately, this tree was a victim of the beetles
so when the wind came it was just weak enough to break
Things get done up here much like they do at home!

It took a few truck tugs to bring it down 

Did you know the smell of pine sap deters cottonmouth snakes?
It's true.

All piled up for someone to use AFTER the fire ban is lifted

Poor tree
It is/was such a gorgeous tree, it makes me a little sad just to walk by it. Even though there is no shortage of gorgeous trees here, this one always caught my attention because of its curvaceous limbs and beautifully figured bark.



Falling in love with trees is sort of like having fun with balloons; it is best to keep in mind it's a temporary pleasure. Damn you, Shel Silverstein!




The moon is still pretty glorious in rising. Keep your eyes open tonight!



Have a treerific Tuesday! Do something totally tingly.

2 comments:

  1. I love Shel Silverstein. I used to give his poetry books to my children and nieces for Christmas presents. They tell me they still have them and read them to their children. I just recently discovered the poet Billy Collins. Heard an interview with him on the Diane Rehm show on NPR. Bought an audio book of him reading his own poems. My new go-to audio while cooking.
    Enjoy the NC mountains, some of the most beautiful on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love him too. Amazing moments of oh yes! in reading his works on every age level. I've heard of Billy Collins of course but definitely need a refresher course, thanks! Yes, every day here I wake up with a similar but very different oh wow! that I feel at home.

      Delete