Tuesday, January 1, 2019

A Culebra adios 2018, feliz 2019!

Calendars are the way we mark our time, our seasons, our events both personal and at large, locally, nationally, internationally. The marking of the New Year, while it occurs in vastly differently time zones (right now, it's 3:30 a.m. in Hawaii, the party hardly over, while in Australia it's 12:30 in the morning, our tomorrow morning) it is celebrated, or at least noted, on some day, over all countries across the Earth, no matter what calendar is being used. But let's stick with the Gregorian calendar here. 

From the ball drop in Times Square in New York City to smashing dishes on your neighbors door in Denmark (for more international ways to mark the night, check this out from Wanderlust) to our family celebration on Culebra, we'll mark the old and new year, whether we make resolutions, break resolutions, go out, stay home, rock around the clock or rock our dreams before midnight comes. That's life as humans on Earth. 


Here's a bit of my Earth, saying good-bye hello. Taking care of a not happy with explosive noises critter meant I was home early last night, but up until then...

I started my end of the year with a walk on the beach next to the ferry dock. There were a few people enjoying the beach, I found some good sea glass and a piece of great cheny, and watched what I was later told was a bullet sleek mackerel, skipping across the water chasing a much smaller, very fast bait fish. That was a bit of magic for sure. 

Waving to Vieques, on the rocks



How many waves and years had to pass to make this erosion?
I came back to town later on in the late afternoon, to test the waters for the big night. It was really quiet, and while I know for business owners that is not a good thing, for one night of the year, it's a very welcome thing, letting it be more family than tourist event. 

One of my favorite Juans
And then it was the prelude to the Big Night. 

I remember when I got a bottle of Tito's for my birthday,
four years ago, ok, almost 5. I'd never heard of it.
Now it's a standard here. Smart!

American irony. Paper straw, plastic glass.
Just like we like it. 
A drink stop at Dinghy Dock rewarded me with a good conversation and seeing this very classic dinghy tied up among the rest. 


While I was chatting with some people on the sidewalk, out of the corner of my eye I caught the shimmer of Monika and Olivia.  

Happy New Year, y'all!

I love these two!
This is who I was talking to, and getting blessed by (the priest, not MaƱengue and his son Giovanni). Brave priest to take on the three of us.


The tables were set up for families, waiting to claim them to enjoy the party in comfort. 


I swung by Susie's to wish them Happy Happy; they were busy but not too busy for hugs. Two friend couples were enjoying the really beautiful evening and what was to come later in town. I didn't even think about taking a photo until I was halfway back up the hill. Oops. 

And now it's today, the first day of the new year. A little sun, a little cloud, pretty much a metaphor to pay attention to. There will be brightness and no doubt some darkness in the year ahead, let's just hope that scale is tipped very heavily to the bright side!


Have a full of timely tactics New Year Tuesday. Do something to make your dreams into reality. Start today (ok, start tomorrow).  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos MJ. Keep them coming please. I'm stuck in Boone for the winter and need them.

    ReplyDelete