Friday, May 1, 2020

Wait! Isn't Coronavirus the Best Excuse?

Apparently not. Someone told me the other day that they read my last blog entry that was over a month old, along with the other very spaced out ones, and I realized, crap! I have wifi! I should be doing the blog! What is wrong with me? Of course, nobody answered. 

But yesterday evening, something so ridiculous happened that I realized I had to write it out, for me if for nothing and nobody else. I was thinking about my children and a photo that my daughter had sent me of herself, in this sleeveless top. That made me think about the weather, which made me think about webcams. I've seen the green flash out there a few times and it was almost sunset there so, logically, why not check it out?

There is an inn out there called The Inn of the Lost Coast. We usually park there when ordering pizza and then go to the field next to it to picnic, it's an area I know well. If you're interested in why it's called the Lost Coast, along with other assorted bits of trivia, go here to Roadtrippers for more information.

The Inn has four webcams on their page and I was checking them out when I came across one that totally alarmed me. There was a sailboat, all sails up, in the middle of the very large rocks near the shore, getting turned by wind and waves but making no progress getting out of a very perilous situation.

I couldn't imagine what the hell was that boat doing there; engine failure? Ill or dead captain? I texted my daughter and sent her the link and we both freaked out for about 30 minutes as it turned this way and that, unable to get out of that washing machine. Why were the sails all up? What was going on? Was everybody going to die? Was it a solo sailor? Should we call the Coast Guard? 

I said she ought to call the Inn first, in case they already called them. It was so scary to watch and feel so helpless. 

In a few minutes I get about 20 laughing/crying emoji's. In case you don't know what a laughing crying emoji is, it's like the happy face of the 60's, but with tears and laughing instead of just that goofy smile. Like so. Except a few lines of them. LOTS of laughing crying going on from my loving daughter. 


And then two words. Weather vane. Freaking WEATHER VANE! Which becomes immediately obvious once I wasn't you aren't just looking at the boat. Which is a weather vane. 




She said that the manager ran out to the deck to be sure of what was not happening. Then, as he was laughing, he said the head emergency rescue guy was actually staying at the Inn, so it would have been easy to get them going in an emergency if there had really been an emergency

After a while, when we could breathe again, we decided it really did happen and that we were heroes, just another thing on another day, humble in the face of effusive praise, we were ready for when another potential tragedy would find need of our heroic skills. 

And that's our story. We're sticking to it. Just the facts, ma'am.

Just to show I'm still on Culebra, where quarantining is not a cocktail. Still.


I was really trying to capture a laughing gull flying through but so it goes.
I like the palm.

Papaya babies
Signing off from Culebra. I can see California from here, just not very well. 

Have a facultative Friday. Do something funny (whether you mean to or not).


1 comment: