Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Step Back in Time

We got on the bus in Redway, fumbling with money, not quite sure of the charge. The driver says, it's free today. Well. Really? Yes, a free bus ride 70 miles. Even on paying days, it's only about five bucks, helping out those who travel up the coast around here. much like our ferry at home. Huge windows, happy fellow travelers. A seemingly good sign for the trip ahead, and so it was.

Arcata. I really don't know much about it except what I see. A plaza that is beautiful and grassy, surrounded by buildings that date from the 1800's to the early 1900's. If you want to really get specific about it, go here. Some are shabby, some are chic, most are in between. The hotel we stayed in has its hallways lined with historical photos - with explanations next to each - that invite studying more suited to a museum gallery than lollygagging in the hallways like some sort of pervy voyeur. Ah well, I've not been arrested yet.

The hotel, overlooking the plaza. Just out of the photo is a Japanese restaurant.
How thoughtful of them to know exactly what we wanted to eat!


Barely down the street from the hotel. As a college town, bars are in no shortage of customers.

I love these old signs!



At one of these bars, there just happens to be a pool table that called our names. I won twice, technically. Luckily, neither my son nor myself are real competitive people ~ at least with each other. Most of the time.

Kayaks or car art?

Sign in a window

I love these driftwood dolls

The storekeeper was slightly reluctant to have me take photos of the dolls,
so I'm including the artist's card, in case you want to buy one.

I was thinking how much I'd like to do this in my yard. And then I thought, maybe you would too.

I think I'm going to have to admit I'm a trashoholic.
Hi, my name is MJ and I'm obsessed with trash receptacles. 

Elijah sitting in the window of our room. The window that opens. An opening window in a hotel.
There is even a real closet. With a door. A solid wood door. The door is probably thicker than the walls - but even with that, I love this place!

Coming from a place where tubs are a rarity and water is something to which we pay close attention, the effect of this tub was not only charming, it was borderline divine.
Maybe if I lay on the floor I'd get a view of the round curtain rod, the old shower head...
but you'll just have to imagine it for yourself.
Because life is full of serendipity, my friend from the Marshall Islands just happens to be driving by later today. As Elijah heads south and home, we'll head north, Portland for me, Washington for him. Traveling, a never ending surprise.

Have a wallow in wonder Wednesday! Do something wishfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment