Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Victory Gardens

I got this in the (e)mail today and being here in the land of front yard, side yard and backyard gardening, it hit a strong note in me, a deeply reverberating chord that runs through my life. Ok, really, I just like the free and delicious tomatoes on the sidewalk edges.

If it's good enough for Super Heroes, it's good enough for you!
Yes, here it is October, and while a lot of you are either putting your gardens to bed (or wishing you had a garden to put to bed), or getting ready to, lots of other people are figuring out their winter gardening plans. There are lots of online articles and advice in a technological world of way too much information, you have to do some work here. And some work in the garden. But what better way to beat winter blues than coming to Culebra and frolicking in the sea on a warm white beach playing with dirt and plants? And there is something to be said and enjoyed for reading bright, comforting seed catalogues (yes, organic and heirloom, of course!) that come in your mailbox, most for free.

Some winter garden seed ideas
Personally, I'm itching to get my hands back into the warm, rocky, needing compost and love dirt of my yard and make edible stuffs happen. Right now, everything could be dead as we've had no rain or not enough rain. I either come home from these trips to a jungle or a wasteland, but either way, in a couple of months all is up and making me grin again. And for a few dollars in seeds and water? That works for me. It will keep the chickens happy too. Which is what I will be living for, very shortly. Chicken worship, in a coop near me. Soon.

Just a thought.

Have a weed free Wednesday! Do something workable.

12 comments:

  1. MJ, Thanks so much for your travel blogs. While I always enjoy the Culebra portion these past few weeks of your travels have been hugely entertaining!! I used to live in Culebra and am now in Utah. Next week we are embarking on a 6 week road trip up the California coast up through Oregon and on to Washington. We will be mostly camping in our small travel trailer. The trip coincides with me turning 50 I am thinking I would like to mark the occasion in the Redwoods. Are there any spots or campgrounds that would make your "don't miss" list? Thanks for sharing your travels with us all!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool comic.
    Our garden is houseplants...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed: coming to Culebra and frolicking in the sea on a warm white beach ... Huh! the editing went out the window. But I would love to do that and garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I would definitely make Bear Harbor and that whole area a don't miss. The Mattole Beach campground up by Petrolia? Absolutely but dress warm! I'll ask about other ones but I know those two and loved them. Your trip sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, MJ
      We have reservations for 2 nights at the state park in Big Sur (riverfront site!!!) to start the trip off. After that we are just winging it. I will look into the places you mentioned. I thought I remembered a post of yours from last year, or the year before :), where you were someplace in Northern Cali and the Redwoods seemed to meet the ocean. That picture was the impetus for this trip!! It's funny but most of the places you just blogged about in Oregon, Port Orford, Bandon, etc... were on my "wish list". We also want to pan for gold near the Rogue River. Oregon has what seem to be wonderful state parks where you can get a site w/ electrical and water for around $20.00 a night. I don't mind roughing it some of the time but hot showers and power every now and then is a good thing. If you come up with any more tips for the Cali portion of the trip I am much obliged. Safe travels back to Culebra, MJ Thanks again, Karen

      Delete
  5. Mark, houseplants, green plants, any plants. But edible plants? I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I have a great friend who is out sailing now, but I'm going to check with her about more spots. Also, there are wonderful spots all along the Mattole River that beg to be explored. Bear Harbor is the place we camped, I'm pretty sure, I don't know about camper/trailers there though, it was a walk in place but well worth it. Not a hard walk at all, but a bit of a distance. It's where we saw elk...I need to check with my son on other spots, but as you say, the parks and camping spots are EVERYwhere! That my blog could be an impetus for such a trip is really amazing and wonderful to know; I want photos and reports to share here please ;)

    I do know there is a restaurant in Big Sur I'd LOVE to go to sometime. Now...to remember the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That restaurant wouldn't be Nepenthe by any chance, would it? That was on our list but there at the wrong time of day. nepenthebigsur.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, that's it. But...they open at 11:30, c'mon you can't miss that! And there is the Cafe Kevah, run by Romney Steele, granddaughter of the original owners of Nepenthe, who seems like a great person. It opens at 9, I think. Even if you just go for bloody mary's...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right , of course. But at the time, we were caught in the moment and beauty and didn't want to break the spell. We drove on...Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An excellent reason to drive on. I didn't realize you were already there!

    ReplyDelete