Saturday, September 8, 2018

A Little Art Walk ~ Emporia

Yesterday was the day! An art walk in Emporia, the little town where my granddaughter goes to college. She and her flatmate were the presenting artists, with other showings in various shops around the downtown area. 



There are a lot of towns and cities with these First or Last Friday's; shops stay open late, people are out and about enjoying art and wine and nibbles. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a Friday evening.


L-R: Teddy, Sloane and Lexi,
with Lexi's beautiful new kitten
(who has the biggest feet I ever saw on a kitty)
The first thing you notice when entering Soul Ride (a donation based yoga studio that is also a store with a lot of very cool things) is the whole front window section is devoted to succulents of every sort. A couch, a chair and some wine while waiting for the show to officially open had my tranquil vibe in gear.




The money earned from selling plants, clothes, jewelry, etc. allows
the donation based yoga studio to carry on. Very cool.
The painting on the floor is of Sloane and Teddy, by Sloane
The owner, behind the desk, was as nice as everyone else we met.
Kansas has a lot of really friendly people, just so you know.
A good turn out from the opening bell.
Ok, there was no opening bell.
There was more to see down the street so with map in hand, we started following the numbers. These are a few of my favorites. Other favorites weren't really into photo op moments.

The works below were in Maud's Tattoo Company. You can read about why it's called Maud's here. You tat people might find it some interesting history. The space itself was full of antiques - old stoves, old lighting and a guillotine. For real. I could have photographed it but it sort of creeped me out, even though it was pretty intriguing, in a weird way I don't even want to try to explain.


I was given permission to take photos as long as the artist,
Brooke Drescher, was given credit, which I'm very happy to do.
 I love her work!


The installation below might be my very favorite. Such a whimsical piece, all four sides of each block change the face, torso and legs, a close to four foot tall toy. I could have played with it awhile before getting bored. Someone is going to have a great interactive conversation piece.







Humor in art is good!

Along the main drag, it wasn't raining, which it has been doing for days.  That was a good thing.


I love the limestone and design.
All I could discover history wise was that it was build in 1897.
I want more!!

There isn't a bad angle on this building

Too bad the Burnap Bros. have lousy taste in signage

A pigeon family gathering 

Just a cool thing

And another really cool thing! I'd love to have one of these at home.
Count your blessings. Then share them. 

Have a salutary Saturday. Do something savory.


No comments:

Post a Comment