Monday, September 3, 2018

Labor Day MishMash 2018

Tropical Storm Gordon drenching south Florida, is keeping family and friends on my mind. But with Ram Dass's advice to be here now, that's what I plan to do!

Maybe my favorite flag that I saw honoring John McCain
Labor Day 

As usual, I could go all political here about Labor Day. But dear readers pretty much get enough of that from me every other day, so never mind. But it IS important to remember why we have this three day weekend. Thank your fellow laborers of days gone by and days ahead. 

"As manufacturing increasingly supplanted agriculture as the wellspring of American employment, labor unions, which had first appeared in the late 18th century, grew more prominent and vocal. They began organizing strikes and rallies to protest poor conditions and compel employers to renegotiate hours and pay. 
Many of these events turned violent during this period, including the infamous Haymarket Riot of 1886, in which several Chicago policemen and workers were killed. Others gave rise to longstanding traditions: On September 5, 1882, 10,000 workers took unpaid time off to march from City Hall to Union Square in New York City, holding the first Labor Day parade in U.S. history." from History.com
A different day -
We took some time off a couple of days ago from sorting and shifting moving things, which is good, because I still know where the propane torch is. Shhhh. 
Michelle took me to a wonderful little place in Lawrence call Bon Bon! A menu that made it difficult to choose (but as usual, we had already mentally picked the same two items), a very cool building that was an armory during the Civil War - 'the ceilings are so high because the ammunition would often blow up while they were making it' - and, maybe best of all, a very big garden across the street where they grow many of their ingredients. 

While waiting for drinks, I headed over to check out the beauty
A perpetually open gate
All the expected garden goods and sunflowers (see cut stalk) too. 

I don't know if this really was just removed or
if it's an arty bit. Either way, I like it. 

Another beckoning open gate

Okra!

Some pretty adorable peppers

I just liked the color and light contrast
While I was chatting with the bartender about the aromatics from the garden used in various drinks, this bar mat (one of two there) caught my eye. Since it was about a foot wide and a foot and a half long, it would be hard to miss. I'd never seen one like it before and wanted very much to steal it to bring home to one of the bars. Even the bartender said she'd never seen one like it before. Super cool. Sorry it wouldn't fit in my bag...and sorry I didn't take a photo of the bar either!


Back from the garden, a VERY spicy Bloody Mary for me and 
Rose Vodka with Rose Lemonade for Michelle, the Thai bowl, and the dumplings awaited (you can check out the menu from the link above). Luckily, we didn't know the dumplings would be fried instead of steamed or we'd have not ordered them - and would have missed a really delicate, delicious dish.

A lot of yum and attention to details
On the way there and back -
Who knew there were wetlands in Kansas?
Or that they would build a road right through the middle of it?

A nice stop in a park, where I got a water fix

Geese!!

Limestone. I've always really liked it, maybe because it reminds me of coral.
I only caught the tail end of this car, one of three oldies but goodies

Zoom zoom!
The day had started out with morning on the porch with my Numero Uno granddaughter, who had come from college to spend the night. I want to grow up to be her. 
G'mornng, darling girl
And finally, for long time readers, here's Kobie, the Alien, who came along with Sloane. He's just as crazy as ever.
No, I'm not getting the ball AGAIN, Kobie!
For all you who are laboring today, I salute you! 
Have a motivating Monday! Do something multifarious.

1 comment: