Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Coming Near ~ a Michigan Denouement

photo credit: unknown
I was looking over some photos the other day and realized a few missed postings that I really shouldn't forget, the River Walk being one of them, it's pretty amazing to see Canada as close as 'right there' across the water, plus the Underground Railroad connection, which is big big big here. I'll do that soon.

And I never talked about Petoskey stones, Michigan's official state stone in fact, which are very fascinating. Why, you are asking, if you aren't a stone/rock sort of person, are they so fascinating? Surprisingly, I'm going to tell you. Because what they are is petrified coral and I've seen (and probably, so have you if you've gone to Culebra) some that I think are the same, albeit a few millennia younger. I've seen them in windows as decoration (some are big, like a human head size brain coral big), small, made into jewelry (expensive) and photos, but I didn't find one and no one was real encouraging that I might. But then, I never thought I'd find red sea glass either...

I'm not only digressing from you, dear reader, I'm digressing from myself, because this was really going to be about some sights on my last few walkabouts with M. Mackey and I'm going to hie myself right back there. Right now. I mean it.

Those two horns on the roof? They should be as big as Julian's speakers; they are LOUD
Train graffiti. This isn't the best example but it's what went by me.
Remember the geese the other day? The plotting? Now they are celebrating, having a party. I bet it is a Goosey Loosey party. I bet there is tea.
And remember the dear? The dearly departed dear? Here is its kin. Sadly, I think it must sleep under the camper top in winter, but what's a suburban deer to do? If I already posted a photo of this deer, forgive me, por favor. I need to eat more coconut oil. Okay, I need to start using coconut oil if I don't forget to get some. Again.
Crazy yard of colorful flower power. I was driving, lost, one evening and saw this. Then I happened to find it again when I was out walking with Mackey. I guess I wasn't real lost. What a great yard for the whole neighborhood to enjoy.

One can only imagine what happens here at Christmas.

This might be my favorite Halloween decoration ever.

I can find home ANYWHERE. In this neighborhood, this hole in the wall liquor store looks as out of place as a dry cleaner on Culebra. I love it.

Funky barn garage

Back on track(s)


My continual quest for tiny homes has not abated but I've come to the conclusion that in this area in particular, there are some smallish homes, and then there are secret tiny homes. In the backyards. Where I can see them but not exactly photograph them, because what I see is the back and side. At first I thought they were all garages or storage sheds, but then, the occasional decorated door way, the welcome mat - signs of a daily life occurring, subtle but there. I'm still trying to find a way to take a photo but truly, these neighbors are very friggin' nosy watchful and I'm slightly surprised no one has said anything about me and my camera. To me.

Small home, big trees

I think this one was empty. Those are the saddest looking flowers, trying to make up for being the only landscaping beyond grass. Go, you blossoms of courage!
I like this house, even with the not quite in the 'style of' addition, which I see a lot around here. But it's still pretty nice, with a good feel. Then, in the very large backyard, perched like pieces of a child's play village aslant, are the outbuildings - one a large shed, one a not tiny house. A not compatibly considered house either.
Color me bewildered. I'm so used to nothing being the same, but here in the land of the tidily manicured houseproud, crazy juxtaposition is glaring.


There aren't a lot of these fieldstone homes around, but they do pop up like gems every once in awhile.

This is not, I'm fairly sure, just a Halloween gesture. The whole place is scary.

Great garage/apartment/somethingsomething, this place is really pretty huge. Clean, bright, in that simple New England-y looking way.

'tis the reason for the pumpkin season
I wonder how well pumpkin farmers do, financially. Tough job. Of course, I'm talking American style pumpkin here, not our Caribbean pumpkin, another variety of squash. Even though American pumpkin is also a squash. Never mind.

I'm losing track of days and it only took a month. Maybe not so good as Linda comes home tomorrow and I come home Saturday, so I better figure this out toot sweet. But my 'ticket' is printed. Mackey's had a bath. I'll probably sweep the floors, or just drag Mackey around the house, since a lot of floor bits are his anyway. Replacement fur therapy. There's a dinner in the works and fun getting ready to hear all about the trip and how Francie's doing. This is perking me right up; time to get out of here!

Have a work it, baby! Wednesday. Do something welcomingly wakefully.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That fieldstone house is amazing. When laying stone like this , you can only lay about 2 feet a day because the weight of the stone squishes out the mortar below. So, you come to work, lay a few stones, go home and come back tomorrow. Norfolk Southern Railway, comes by our home, half a mile away, several times a day. Not so close that it rattles the dishes like at my grandmothers house in the fifty's at vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stonework/masonry amazes me, so much work and so beautiful! Luckily, no dishes rattle when the train goes by, but it can be a startling sound, even after a month of hearing it. My imagination goes wild trying to figure out where the goods are going...

    ReplyDelete