Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Culebra Tiny Home Tuesday

At the end of a dirt road in the northwest woods and mountains of North Carolina is a path. Down a slight hill, and a turn to the left brings you to a small clearing. Sitting like a small jewel is this cabin.


Inside is a bare canvas, one room, waiting for finishing. I've imagined it a few dozen times and talked to LC, the owner/builder  - he's The Man Who Can Do Anything - about heating and plumbing and all the ways it would take to make it home, starting with a covered porch on three sides (that's my imagining, having all my priorities in a wobbly row; LC is a lot more practical). Imagine a chimney, with fragrant smoke, with wood from fallen trees, wafting. Imagine a wrought iron bed with feather pillows, covered in locally made quilts (lots of them, it gets cold up there). A propane stove with soup cooking. A small wooden table, two chairs, mismatched plates and glasses on an open shelf, waiting to be placed. Deer in the yard, a cat in the bed. Maybe one day.

The edge of the front yard. On a clear day, mountain ranges stretch away into the sky. On a foggy, wet day, it is still beautiful, so quiet you can hear raindrops falling.
Have a top 'o the world Tuesday. Do something tiny.

p.s. If you want a good cabin story, go here. John McAbery, a part of the story, is the woodcarver I met at his beach home on the Lost Coast in California and wrote about in a post last year. 

8 comments:

  1. I could live like you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, simple is best. It's not for everyone and that's fine, but to me, it's a very good way to live to keep in touch with what really matters (plus helping us relate, in a much easier way with lights and water, how most of the world lives).

      Delete
  2. Great Lost Coast cabin story! Brought back memories of my childhood when my father, grandfather and great uncle and family's built three cabins in the the middle of the Mojave Desert, in California. My mother would have the car packed when my father got home after work Fridays. We, mother father brothers, would drive 120 miles to the cabin site, grandparents were already there. We would work on the cabins all day Saturday, sleep on the ground under the stars and drive home Sunday. It was wonderful. Remind me when I get there in March and I'll tell you more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories; I'm so glad the story brought them to mind and thank you for sharing them! I'll be waiting to hear more when y'all get here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scubagirl

    MJ, you might want to check out After The Mortgage's Blog. http://afterthemortage.blogspot.com/ He and his wife are frequent visitors to Vieques but have built a tiny cabin by hand on their acreage out in the woods of Indiana. It is impressive

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can dream it, you can do it.
    Do it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'tis true! LC's comment was - solar panel, inverter, electric. I dream, he plans.

      Delete