Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Some Big Foot Touristing

On a road outside of Garberville is a pretty huge tourist spot called the Legend of Big Foot along the Avenue of the Giants (redwoods giants, not Bigfoots). We passed it and decided to stop on the way back. Hokey for sure but there were some fun things there among the weird gnomes and rocking metal and stone peacocks and roosters - which were actually pretty cool except there were so many that you had to really look at them to see how cool they actually were.

The Big Foot thing is everywhere around this area. When we were driving to the wedding we passed a building that had a huge mural painted on its street facing side. Gorillas doing all sorts of things, using machinery, eating, playing. I mentioned it to Dave, wondering what on earth that was about. It finally dawned on me that these weren't supposed to be gorillas, but rather, Big Foot. Local culture. They still all look like gorillas to me. If I mentioned all that before, oops.


You can buy this yard art and hang it on your tree.
On Culebra, it might start a whole 'new species sighted' rumor.
Hmmmmm.

Among a lot of carvings and totem poles was this very complex monkey carving.
I don't know what it has to do with anything but I liked it. 

A fake nest with a fake eagle, high up on a redwood.
Or maybe a fake redwood. 

Checking out the goldfish. They were real.

It's hard to tell but each peacock and rooster body is a big stone, banded in copper.
They swing in the wind and even though they are a bit goofy
there is some skill there, each rock different, each peacock individual.

A definitely cool playhouse

The girls wanted to stay.
I understood that completely.

When Iko saw this tribal guy she immediately went over and copied his position.
It is her default stance when she doesn't want to do something.
O quickly joined her.
I like him, he's got serious attitude.

Avenue of the Giants indeed.
It's easy to be a gawking tourist here.
Yesterday I walked to the Post Office, not a long walk but definitely not a Culebra walk, well, almost not. Switching back and forth on the blind corners to avoid the occasional faster than you should be going driver, I saw a big black dog wandering into a driveway. BIG. I went to the other side of the road and didn't make eye contact, it was fine. 

After the PO I went across the street to the lumberyard for some paint supplies and talked to the young woman I'd met last year, while trying to get back home after the storms. I told her about the dog and she said, oh! I'll call that guy, we have to call every couple of days, he's a bad dog. Oh goodie! I walked through the VERY large property of the lumberyard and avoided seeing him again. It sort of felt like home.

This young buck was in the lumberyard, looking for apples.
He found some.
This is also in the lumberyard. An abandoned little nursery.
Every time I walk by it I think I should go to the owner and
ask if I can bring it back to life. Then I keep walking.
My new wine glass that I put to use at California happy hour,
which happens to include magic light time.
These passion flowers grow in the corner of the parking lot at the market.
Glory!!
So go the days. 

Have a wondrous Wednesday. Do something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment