Saturday, June 30, 2018

While the Kids are Away...oh Deer!

La familia went to the Kate Wolf festival yesterday, as they do every year. Yes, I would have liked to have gone, but it was sold out and lucky for them, I didn't know the whole line up until the last minute or they would have seen me sobbing in the driveway as they pulled away. If you click on the link, you'll see all I am missing. And a da..dagnabbit BABY gets to go??

She loves to be in the overcab Turtle bed,
where she pretends to be asleep and then AWAKE!
How can I hold a grudge with that face?
Ok, baby, I guess it's okay that you get to see Keb Mo and I don't.
Not really.
But I am a mature adult and turned my time into other diverting pursuits. Like rejoining Netflix and stumbling upon a strange British show called Happy Valley. Trust me, it is not a happy valley, but it quite addictive, as I noticed when it appeared to be getting lighter outside. I'm quick like that.

On waking, there were things to do before heading over to my daughter Sarah's place later today. A deep watering of the gardens - my just planted from last weekend tomato has blossoms! The peppers have buds! I'm way behind Alliena in her planting but the plants don't care and neither do I. Most likely I won't be around for the fruiting but there is just a serenity and quiet joy in playing in the dirt with plants that is one of the best drugs I know. Corn, radishes and lettuces, micro greens and chard and plants for dying clothes and more, every day is something new happening.

Once I got here it didn't take long to find Charlotte the plant lady and get a Sungold tomato plant from her again this year. These bright orange cherry sized tomatoes are the sweetest tasting tomato I've ever had. I tried last year not eating the red ones, which were amazing, and the Sungold's together because the Sungold's dull the taste of the rest. I know, I'm prejudiced! So when Alliena told me she hadn't planted one, I was on a mission. Hooray for Charlotte!

Obviously, my Sungold's are lagging behind the others
but very happy just the same.

A sweet pepper, a jalapeƱo and a Cubano. It will be interesting to see
how they get along together in the same large pot.
Will they cancel out each others' sweetness or fire?

The yellow roses are just today saying hello!


After the long watering session it was time for a coffee and reading. I was standing in the doorway of the Turtle and scanned the field  thinking, oh well, I'm way past morning deer thirty, when there on the high side, nibbling on the grasshead seeds, there they were. Lazy bones!

From the door way

I hear something but these seeds are so good!

Baby antlers

I definitely hear something!

So do I!

C'mon, let's go!


Okay! Wait up!

They didn't exactly run and didn't exactly stroll, but there was clear intention to get back to the woods. Sorry, deer, I didn't mean to interrupt your grazing. Well, only a little.

Have a serendipitous Saturday. Do something selfless (no Iko, I don't mean you pretty much).


No comments:

Post a Comment