Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Culebra Day and night...

The weather started out with rain and a radar that looked like more was on the way...go to work? Stay home? Decisions decisions. Then a phone call from a friend inviting me to go for a ride to a place I love, a piece of land with a home that looks like North Carolina on the beach. No one lives there (but we had permission!) so there is no noise, no activity except for the gulls and pelicans cruising the small bay.


Before I moved here, a woman who became a friend advised me, if you don't like small places, you won't be happy here. For me, that was the seal of approval...in my thinking, small is good and smaller is better. I don't think of Culebra as small, and after going on 7 years, there are still places I've never seen. But...I'm slow. This place, with its alternating views of empty hillsides, gives me the comfort of a Culebra long ago that I never knew, but know now. Oh, to keep this...


I did go in later to open the cart, for about an hour before it looked like a huge rain was in the offing. After 3 or 4 people warned me of the upcoming drenching, I figured, well, I had errands to run, so I closed up...so of course, it didn't rain. On the way home I got two rides. One as far as Happy Landings, and the other from a local guy saying, get in! It's going to rain! The sky was almost black, we believed. But...no rain. So it goes. I played in the gardens instead.

Tonight was the true full moon rising. At first covered by clouds, the moon emerged full glory. A satisfying day and night...lucky lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment