Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recovery 2008


My name is MJ and I'm a newsoholic. The signs were everywhere, sleeping badly, awake at all hours but still barely finding time to water the gardens as I glued my eyes to the computer screen. The Cat Who Isn't Mine learned to smack me on the face in hopes of food. Actually debating whether to go to town and open the cart or stay home and watch every new topic change on every news source I could find online. Like a hard core drinker knows the opening bell of a favorite bar I was there, ready and waiting.

I was sneaking in news, asking strangers on the street for more. I was so far gone as to be considering that a Blackberry might not be such a bad thing... it was pathetic. I was a seething mass of mess and even the national election going my way wasn't stopping me. My friends endured my endless emails, rantings & ravings. They knew I was out of control, but no one could pull the plug but me. There had to be more...or actually, there had to be less. I knew I needed help.

They say the first step in conquering an addiction is to admit you have one. But all of my friends watched the news! How could it be so bad? Then, the emails started trickling in...confessions much like my own and the desire to stop. I wasn't alone. And yet, I was. Oh the shame!

I made myself go and work in the garden in the mornings and afternoons before *rewarding* myself with a fix. First it was only for a few minutes before running in to check on anything I might be missing, but each day I spend more time outside, remembering what is my real world and how basically ridiculous the news is. I don't grit my teeth as much. I sleep better. And best of all, my world rewards me for each step taken into it and out of the insanity.

Oh, I could fall again. I'll always be only an election or inauguration away from not resisting temptation. But as they say...one step at a time. Moon Rise Beats News! more at 11.





No comments:

Post a Comment