Saturday, November 15, 2008

Food & Cooking on Culebra Part Uno

This post was inspired by a cruel email reminding me about time in La Boqueria, a famous food market on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. I have a picture of me (somewhere), in this market, wine in one hand, giant strawberry in the other and a butcher holding out a sample slice of the best prosciutto I've ever had, a mile wide grin on my face..These shots are off the web (same market); you get the idea. It's an amazing place with everything from veg to fish to wines to...you name it. This meat section is just for HAMS! And it was only one of those...


It's true, many of us are obsessed by food here. It's usually about food we can't buy on Culebra. Or sometimes it's about food we do find...as in "Oh my god!!!! Hurry up and get to Milka's, they have SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE!!!!!" Somewhere along the lines of "Pssstttt...hey....I got some rye bread here...wanna get some? First one's free, little girl." The first time I saw green beans on the veggie truck (back when veggies other than broccoli meant the veg truck was here), I ran home, sauted them with butter and salt and ate them for breakfast, straight out of the skillet. And bragged about it all day, much to the envy of those who got there too late to find the beans were gone...they lasted maybe 10 minutes.

That was when I first moved here only a little over six years ago and I know that things felt stylin' by then compared to say, 10 years before that. Choices are considerably bigger now, but...what can I say? Gringos are spoiled with choice. About everything, but food is the subject of the day here.

It's a weird dichotomy. I love it that to get a beautiful cauliflower from the new veg guy is a treat, a huge treat. But once in awhile, I just want to walk into the store and get a damn cauliflower because I want one. I'd rather have the 'it's so truly special!' ness of a surprise something or other I don't even know I'm craving than have it anytime I like. Maybe it's a sickness, but most of the people I know feel the same way. People come back from trips and invariably the biggest subject is where and what they ate, along with markets they went to. ANY market...it's weird. We hang on every description, trying not to drool with jealousy. Unless it's our turn to tell the wonders of the world *out there*. And yet, we can't wait to come home, every time. Bottom line, the day I see an artichoke for sale on Culebra, it's probably time to move away. On Culebra, less really IS more.

Tomorrow will be the post I was going to do tonight (but...for those who don't know Culebra, I thought a little background was in order), unless something else seems more important or interesting, I'll tell you about the dinner I cooked tonight using LEEKS!!!! The veg guy had leeks! Are we excited?? Yes we are. Teaser preview photo:

3 comments:

  1. You are so going to hate my recent leek story. There are two grocery stores on my way home from work. I usually stop at Kroger because they have a better and bigger selection of healthier choices. About two weeks ago, I wanted a leek. You can't just buy ONE leek. You have to buy a bundle of three, and the bundle costs 4 or 5 bucks! In the spirit of Jimmy Buffet's Fruitcakes ditty - I don't want three leeks; I don't want somebody telling me I must buy three leeks; I don't want waste in my life; I don't want to pay exorbitant prices for too many leeks! I went with scallions instead. :-( Then I found out that Publix (the other grocer on my way home) sells 'em in singles. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. believe it or not, I bought artichokes from Gloria and Chu once....thought i'd died and gone to heaven.

    Leeks??!!!? you go girl!! can't wait to hear what you stirred up using them!!! hot diggty damn!

    whenever I would visit the States, my friends learned to refuse to go with me to the grocery stores because I humiliated them with my public displays of ignorance as I wandered gleefully up and down each aisle in awe of all the "new" items that in actuality had been on stateside shelves for years....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Publix! Growing up in Fla, I watched them be the first to have *natural* and organic products. They also carried their own brands that were as good or better than recognized brands. Today, their own brands are almost always cheaper, and high in quality.
    Publix used to be closed on Sundays and that didn't change until I was in my 30's...it was sort of a sad day, despite the ease of being able to shop on a Sunday, but it was definitely a giving in to business rather than the old "We are closed on Sunday's to allow our employees' time with their families." Yeah, it really said that...not so very long ago.

    Leek meal comin'! And don't tell me about buying an artichoke here! Wow!

    ReplyDelete