Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a day!

As cars passed by the cart this morning, there was much grinning and joy about Obama getting elected. And closer to home, there were reactions to our old mayor getting re-elected, both good and not so good. A strange mix of feelings, as my mayoral choice losing felt to me almost as big as it would have been if Obama had lost. The consequences could be that drastic, in my, and many others, eyes.

But the universe, once in awhile, has a way of very unsubtly dealing with life and it dealt with me this morning on my walk into town. I couldn't stop grinning, thinking about Obama's win. And I decided that Culebra voted for what Culebra wants, whether I agree or not. As these thoughts were rolling around my head, a car slowed down and the driver offered me a ride. And the driver was the newly re-elected mayor. I got in the car and told him congratulations. "I did not vote for you, but I want to wish you the best, and only ask that you will take care of Culebra."
He was heading toward the alcadia (town hall) and I was going the other way, so I got out of the car, thanked him for the ride and we went our separate ways. And so, regardless of the comments that transpired later in the morning, I could truly let go of the issue. I'll go back to taking care of my gardens, helping out where and when I can, and living my life. All in hopes that the beauty that is this island will not be destroyed by greed and carelessness.


It's a good day to feel proud of America, a country I so often have despaired about, and the Americans who yesterday overcame all odds and brought us Obama as a President. Hope is a fragile strength, and when rewarded, a beautiful thing, so I'm holding on to that!

1 comment:

  1. Way to take the high road, MJ! I'm very proud to report that the county by county results on CNN indicate that my county voted 79% for Obama! If there weren't so many ass backwards folk in the less-populous counties in Georgia, we would surely be a blue state.

    ReplyDelete