Friday, November 15, 2013

culebra free range friday ~ advance apologies

anyone who is even a casual reader of this blog knows that fresh food, anti-man made created chemicals, staying away from boxed, processed, fast food and no gmo's is pretty much how i try to live my food life (though not a fanatic. the key word is try). i like to think i'm pretty aware of the mine fields we negotiate these days in wanting to eat well, days in which even eating your veggies is rife with hidden components of 'is it good or poisoned?' factors. it can be tiring and discouraging, especially when availability isn't very available.

today, thanks to a friend, another meadow i thought was safe to play in turns out to be as dangerous as dorothy's poppy field in the wizard of oz.

first, a preface i've also mentioned here before - i am big on tea drinking. yes, i drink coffee, but tea is my beverage of choice. black, herbal and whatever might lie in between. my worst tea moment in recent years was finally accepting that lipton tea is no longer the same tea i started drinking as cambric tea when i was a little girl. i even wrote to them about it (of course i did), but now, i just don't buy it and around here, substitutes aren't easy. when up north, i got a huge box of black tea bags and if i use twice as many as usual, it gets close to what i want. but...now i'm wondering: what the hell is in or on it? what is the bag made from? what am i drinking? thanks, bill. thanks a lot!

tazo? twinings? celestial seasonings??????? nooooooooo
food babe gives the low down here. being a research geek, i'm sure there is plenty more where this comes from but i don't have the heart to read on. yet. i will, but for now, i'll just finish off my probably killer tea, drink lemon grass, basil and mint tea from my garden and search again for black tea alternatives. so should you if you don't already.


sorry about this, but love means sometimes having to say - don't drink that!. i've never heard of numi or rishi - do they carry it in milka's?

probably not drinkable, but hibiscus is
 have a foraging friday. do something faultealy free.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Haven't been on your blog in a while, but I can see myself getting lost in Food Babe! Yesterday, at Whole Foods (I do this often; it takes me forever to make it through a conventional grocery store), I stood in the tea aisle stressing over what kind of plain, ol' black tea I could buy for Thanksgiving to serve my family without them knowing it was not Lipton (don't ask; they like crap food), and I found myself comparing and reading ingredients. Whole Foods 365 tea says "organic black tea". Wonder if that means anything these days. Interesting that a day later, I come across this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Allegro is a Whole Foods brand, but the tea I bought is their 365 brand. Now I am so curious...

      Delete
  2. i don't know what it means, but i think you could at least write the company and ask. I wrote stash tea, which was suggested to me via an email as ab alternative, asking the obvious ?'s. the point about natural flavoring was another thing i'd never considered. it's tiring, but once i/we find something, we can let each other know!

    ReplyDelete