Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rockin' Sangria for AWC!


In bad light, great people! Our contestants, winners all.
The first ever sangria contest to benefit Animal Welfare of Culebra was a good time had by all. From Patty's wonderful food (she came down from Connecticut to cater this; as John, master of all things ceremonious said, that's how AWC rolls!), to the sangria mixologists, to those who manned and womanned the tables for tickets and tee-shirts to the music makers providing melodic entertainment and those who tasted and voted,  thank you!! Let's do it again next year.

My only complaint was the lighting. The library deck lights are set up for productions, not regular lighting. I felt an odd compulsion to confess every dark thought and deed in my life a few times when caught under the spotlights. It made for some not so great photos, unfortunately; my little camera not quite up to the task of reading bright lights and daylight clashing with each other. But you'll get the idea and hopefully next year I'll have a better camera for posterity's sake.

Patty's delicious food spread. She even brought fingerling potatoes from her garden, which were earthy little tastes of heaven to the tongue.

The serving line stayed busy until the end, with some latecomers not getting a taste of everything. Late for food and drink on Culebra? You shoulda known!


The mixer-uppers of fine drink.

Richard and Marcos

Helena

Beth

Monika
I didn't get a photo of Michi, who won both 3rd and 1st place. Next year, it would be fun to have twice this many (and next year, I won't be on a pre-surgery drinking ban, so I really would like twice as many - for the animals sake, of course).

The choices. Rosarito is ready!


The tableau of tapas would soon be a empty plated wreck of its original glory

Les and Lawrence

Max, who is up for adoption, was way too excited to pose for me, but he's a beauty and needs his forever home. If you're interested, contact Teresa, his foster mom (message me and I'll tell you how!).


Apologizing again for the bad photos of beautiful women but how could I not include these beams of light?


There's a great variety of goods available to enjoy and support AWC at the same time.


The descriptions from our contestants were worth saving. Are we still on Culebra?



Yes, we are!






The description didn't lie.

Not quite Carmen Miranda






And then it was time to announce the official winners. I say official because in talking with the tasters, everyone had their own winner. That's a good thing!


Second place, Monika!



Rockin' to the music.

Thanks for doing table duty, you two!
I think of this as the first 'event' of the season, which is fast upon us. The trickle of folks returned from 'away' time has begun and that means lots of hugs and catching up. It's a yearly ritual dance and a good one. While the quiet time of 'off season' is welcome, those we love who go off for awhile are part of what makes our circle whole. Life is good.

Have a seasonally satisfying Saturday. Do something sensate.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I had my first experience of Sangria in Tahiti in 1979. I can still feel the effects...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might not have been Sangria, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Well it had the important ingredients like red wine, kerosine...

      Delete
    3. Using up and making do sangria. Of course.

      Delete