Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Oh Deer!

Whenever driving and a deer is seen on the roadside, or crossing the road (or leaping into the road or...there's a lot of deer around here), either Elijah or Allie say, Oh deer! Since I'm usually in the backseat, I didn't get it right away, but I like it. 

The other day, sitting in the Turtle, a movement outside caught my eye. Maybe it was this tiny, sparrow like bird, but no. It was much bigger.


Usually when I've seen deer out in the field it is in the early to late morning and it was now after noon, but there he was, strolling over to the blueberry patch. Well, it's way more than a patch, it's lots and lots of blueberries that get sold in the honor stand. Strawberries done, it's blueberries and raspberries now. Yum. But I digress. There he was.


I'll just go slow and maybe no one will see me

The blue netting keeps out the deer and most of the birds
His antlers still fuzzy with youth, he was still a pretty big deer. Usually there are a couple at least but he was on his own. 


I was making clicking noises, he went on alert

But maybe I can still get to the blueberries! 
Finally he saw me and decided to retreat. I thought he'd go down the drive but instead he headed across the field to the safety of tall grass and the woods.


Fuzzy photo of a leaping deer.

In the cut field, he could do some high step running.

Ah, safe in the grasses
I clicked one more time before he went into the woods and was rewarded with one more look. I'm sure the lure of berries will bring him out again, but this was this day. 



So long for now, young buck. Thanks for the visual entertainment!

Have a tapestried Tuesday. Do something thoreauvian.

1 comment:

  1. When I was younger I would hunt and shoot them, but never waste them always ate them. Now that I'm older I realize how precious life is, I struggle to kill an insect. Except a mosquito, I'll squash it with my finger and grin. :-))

    ReplyDelete