Monday, March 4, 2013

Happy Porch Sitting Zaco's Flying Mango Birthday, Walt!

Random chaos. It's a theory and a reality, but I am not going to bore you with the physics (unless you are really, really interested, in which case, remember why god made google).

Yesterday, while I was in my yard puttering, Walt came by, sail in hand, to show a guy how to use it on his tri. That done, we got to talking (that's such a mid-western phrase, isn't it?) and he mentioned it was his birthday. He said he'd be at Zaco's later on, since the Dougs' and Mariel would be making some music. Actually, one of the Doug's branded them Optical Eddie and the Flying Mango's in an email, but since it was Eddie's last night around here I don't think that name is going to stick. I do like the Flying Mango's though. It sounded like a good way to celebrate a birthday; I'd be there.

It had been a quirky day, weather wise. Sunny, cloudy, shiny, dull, cool and hot and I'd done a whole lot of little bits here and there, mostly outside. I'm pretty sure Sundays are made for that if they don't involve being in or on the water. And while going out on a Sunday late afternoon and evening isn't usually in my plan, well, that's the good thing about not having a very set plan.


Music and birthday hour drew near and I was off to town, noticing things along the way. Like...why did the person who bought that cute little house with the eight coconut palms in the yard cut all of them down but one and put a gigantic fast boat there instead? I miss those palm trees. Maybe best not to notice too much, methinks.

Except at Zaco's where I noticed the menu, which made me notice that Zach and Kevin are having some fun in the kitchen.



I asked if I could have a taste of the tuna ceviche and Zach kindly brought me a taste of the smoked marlin as well. We discussed methods of smoking and playing with food and then he brought me a taste of some kimchi he'd made. I was just finishing the last bite when I realized I forgot to take a picture of it. Not that kimchi is particularly pretty, but it was particularly delicious, if you are a kimchi sort of person. And I am. If you are too, ask for it - no disappointment included.

Smoked marlin and tuna ceviche taster plate. Thanks, Zach.

A real serving of the smoked marlin...and some random legs
Every time I hear the Dougs' and Mariel (and Eddie) play, I think, I'm still not tired of them. Maybe it's because they try to work up a new song every week or so. Maybe it's because Mariel's voice is sublime. Or a few maybe's all wrapped up together that aren't nameable. I only know I really like to listen to them play.


Happy birthday, Walt! See you next time, Eddie, it's been a pleasure!
There was a very dapper tourist there who looked a lot like Sam, but Sam never looks this happy.
 A different kind of Sunday Funday. Different in the good way.

Have a more than mandatory Monday. Do something mighty.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think Walt reads my blog (he doesn't read email much either) but I'll pass along the message!

      Delete
    2. or listen to his voice mail. LOL

      Delete