Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where Are We?

Some fine New Jersey garlic growing here!
Here it is, Thursday again, and I have no clue how that happened so quickly. One thing for sure (and I think this is one of those 'idiosyncratic, terribly unique to a special place certainties' such as when people say, 'yep, back in Utah, the one thing about the weather you can count on is it always changing; don't like it? Wait ten minutes. My granddaddy always said that' - I've heard that about every state in the United States...I might have mentioned it about Florida, please don't remind me) is that nothing really marks the days here as much as the electricity going off for hours. Most of the stories I've heard this week revolve around that, including my own. And all of them, except for one, were stories I'd heard and told before. Example: 'The quiet is so beautiful until that #$%^&! generator of my neighbor's starts up and he runs it all night long! Why does he DO that?'

Crystals. Sit down. Pick up a rock that seems embedded in the earth. Look closely.

The different story was a guy who took out a Windrider for either the 1st or 2nd time and was out in Ensenada Honda when the lights went out. Lights from land, if you don't know a harbour you are sailing, beside the fact that you have to get to another harbour around a very long sandbar, are particularly helpful for finding your way. Around anchored boats, for one thing. He told me he went through the 'I can't do this, I'll just tie up at the public dock and get the boat in the morning' thinking, and then he saw Greg, with HIS Windrider, heading home and thought, if Greg can do it, I can do it.

Now, that sort of thinking could get you in a heap of trouble, but in this case, it motivated our young man and, while he lost sight of Greg almost immediately, he did get back to the right dock without incident and with the pleasure of having done something fairly difficult. And from now on, you can be sure a flashlight will be part of his kit, along with rain gear. You might not think it gets cold in the Caribbean, but add up no sunlight, wind and rain and that = cold. Plus the frission of anxiety, while dancing on the head of a pin.

I didn't start out to write that at all. It's been that sort of week though. See above.

In tribute to my kids' Dad
I'd ask if this doesn't look like a Western scrub brush scene, but I know it does.

Complete with a Remington-esque horse
Have a totally taken Thursday. Do something topside.

No comments:

Post a Comment