Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What is Your Cultural Background?

I've often thought about this question, coming from a background I didn't know much about (until my daughter Sarah went seriously pro-active on Ancestry.com; history is powerful). I've wondered if I'm drawn to island cultures because there seems to be so much history available, so many connections known, first in the US Virgin Islands and now here on Culebra. I know I'm a permanent guest, but one who appreciates deep roots. I'm thankful for this sense of family and traditions.

So when I  saw my/our friend Karen Miles (of the Wanderbird charter boat) request for a young man wanting to work out and bridge his past and present culture, I thought, I'm going to break a personal rule here (about promoting a financial cause for kids outside of our community) and put the word out to see if we help him have his dream.

Knowing Karen and Rick, I can assure you they are two of the most genuine people you ever want to meet (and two of the most interesting as well). There is nothing slick about them and I trust that this venture is everything Karen makes it out to be.

If you can give Omma a hand financially, I think the personal return will be far bigger than a thank you note. Sure, there are another zillion places to give money that are all valid. But if you have some to spare? It's a one on one revolution and who knows where this young man will go with a dream? Click on the link to read all about it.

Dog team travel is vanishing for the Labrador Inuit. I have been invited to film a dogsled trip. Doing this trip across Nunatsiavut is Ommati's life long dream.

(I'm not sure if Karen took this photo or not, sorry!)



4 comments:

  1. Nakkumek (Thank you) love your Wanderbirds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you MJ!!! I did take this photo of Omma a few years ago. I was hiking with Omma and we came across this caribou antler. The caribou had been in short supply that season. He stood it on end by piling up rocks at the base and said a silent prayer. Moments later a caribou (the first sighting of that season) ran over the hill just past us... I watched Omma and his husky Tatsalik disappear over the horizon in pursuit. Omma has been a traditional hunter since about age five or six. -karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good story! And I'm thrilled to read on Facebook that the challenge has been met financially and this trip is going to happen. Fantastic!!!! We all look forward to photos and more stories ahead.

      Delete