Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tiny Home Tuesday ~ National Oyster Day and More

Tiny homes. There are those in our tribe who may think they are the gems of architecture, in their own niche, and rightly so for many of them. But, as in all things, there are tiny homes and then there are tiny homes. Some lust worthy, some not so much. But there are also natural, really natural tiny homes, that are gems. Pearls to be exact, though probably a pearl isn't really a gem. Work with me here. I'm very distracted.

credit: Le Jambon
Today is National Oyster Day. Even in the United Kingdom, so that's not really national unless the UK is your nation and I've never eaten oysters there so I can only cheer the sharing of a culinary joy across the waters.

(Oh, those lumpy bumpy sharpish shells, mightily tightly closed, no window views, very attached to the neighbors, complete with filtration system. Room for one. No renters welcome.)

Being as I am living in a place where oysters aren't really on the menu (yes, we have mangrove oysters but if you've ever ordered oysters and gotten little tiny ones, they are giants compared to mangrove oysters), I can only relive past pleasures and future delights on this day. Unless someone brought in oysters today and wants to share. I'll be there.

Growing up in Florida, we almost literally had oysters out our front door and my Dad started us in young, both catching and eating them. Maybe feeding raw oysters to your toddlers seems odd, but we loved them then and love them still. I have to say my favorite Florida oyster is the Apalachicola oyster. Big, meaty, briny - everything that makes me drool just thinking about them. The first time I ever actually ate them in the town of Apalachicola was in a funky hotel where you didn't order by the dozen, you just ordered a plate of oysters. I counted at least 25 and I think it cost about 7 dollars. With iced tea. One of those unforgettable times I have probably mentioned here before.

I've eaten oysters across the US, one memorable time in Maine, where the oysters were huge and delicious and comparable to my old Florida favorite. Maybe better. But better than Martha's Vineyard? Or Port Townsend, Washington? Better than California where my son and I sampled them from San Francisco to the end of coastal highway? Each time I think they are the best but this time I at least got photos.


If you recall, I hoped to wax lyrical about these oysters but it probably came off more like describing a ravishing sex scene in a bodice ripper. Even setting up the photos - the top one I tried to make somewhat rustically elegant. But the lust was too strong, Hence the bottom photo, which was supposed to be all of them set out with a charming little bowl of sauce and a lovely glass of wine. Instead, it looks like exactly what it was, the litter of oyster debris in the wake of a screeching halt between hacking open oysters sans proper oyster shucking knife and oh damn, I've got to take a photo of these before we have slurped down each and every one. If I close my eyes and sniff deeply, I might stop crying with longing. Thought I'd say, almost taste them? Not a chance.


Yes. My name is MJ and I am an oyster tiny home wrecker. Sue me. Happy National Oyster Day!  And please, if you must post or send photos of you enjoying oysters on the half shell (I know there are other ways, many other ways to eat them but this is my favorite and this is my blog, so there! I say in a mature, adult like fashion) please don't. Unless you are here and have oysters to share. Did I mention that already?

Here is the 'more'. And it's not a tiny house or a tiny price. But it's on a tiny island, and it's a place that does the heart good, plus, I love the people who are selling it. As much as I love having them here, one thing I've learned in a couple decades in the islands, people go. As they usually go to something their hearts are desiring, as friends we wish them well and wave adios, with fond hopes of seeing them again.

So here is Pam and Chuck's home. You can read all the details and see the slideshow with more photos here. I can't tell you a lot more than that but what I can tell you is that they are two of the most meticulous, loving and giving people I've ever known, and their home shows it on all levels. Plus awesome views.




It's not tiny but it still has that cozy feeling


Um, this is the work room. Did I mention meticulous? Pam makes beautiful and fun mosaics and tiled pieces of furniture here.
And that's that about that. Find your pearl maker.

Have a tasty Tuesday. Do something titillating.

10 comments:

  1. You being a Floridian, I thought you would be an Apalachicola oyster aficionado (big word day). We bought a bushel, 2 years ago, while in Cape San Blas (about 20 miles from Apalachicola) on vacation. They were the best East Coast oysters, hands down! I order Pacific Northwest oysters online occasionally and they are outstanding also. Hmmm.. how can I get live oysters from Virginia to Culebra in March???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, for me the big word was spelling Apalachicola correctly. Aren't they divine? I could rant about the oil spill and the devastation it's brought to some of the most hard working people ever, but I'd rather think about the oysters. I don't know about shipping them to Culebra, I'm just going to go after them there!

      Delete
  2. That house is amazing! We'll be coming back to visit Culebra the last 2 weeks of December. Can't wait! Love you're blog, I visit often to keep up on the goings on around Culebra while i'm away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the blog is enjoyable for you! Yes, it is a great house and someone with some coins to rub together will have a wonderful home.

      Delete
  3. Do NOT eat raw oysters in Florida this year! In fact, having spent a lifetime looking thru a microscope at marine life and their parasites, our oceans are too polluted for this old-fashioned nostalgic thinking about seafood.
    If you doubt me, talk to the woman who lost her leg last year after a swim off Ft. Myers beach. She had just shaved her legs at home, the bacteria entered the skin....she nearly died. Same thing this year, and now affects raw seafood:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=raw+oysters+in+Florida+2014&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I read about six articles and I'm convinced you're right and thank you for the warning. My brother and his friend got sick on raw oysters recently, really REALLY sick, I think the first time in his life. But better sick than freaking flesh eating parasites! I will make note of this in another blog post as a lot of people don't read the comments. Thanks again. Unfortunately.

      Delete
    2. I think thats very good advice Sis, this is a bad year for Gulf Oysters! I've had a few since "The Incident" but the bacteria in the Gulf are seriously Toxic as of late! Also the "Dead Zone" in the Gulf (oxygen deprived area where no sea life survives) is larger this year than ever before, it's very sad..

      Delete
    3. It is really REALLY sad. Hard working people are going down the tubes because...oh wait, BP CARES about America and fixed everything. Never mind.

      Delete
  4. If only it were three or four years from now...that house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they want to wait three or four years, but hopefully whoever buys it will have us all over sometime!

      Delete