Saturday, January 3, 2009

Not in the nick of time

Before all this holiday revelry gets time completely lost for me, I'll quickly post some photos of what I'm blaming (and whom) for losing track of days.

First though, I forgot to post this photo of New Year's Eve with Juan and a woman who has great legs. I think Juan might have noticed that as well. She also has a great heart, but that wasn't what this photo was about. Um, or maybe it was...


A sampling of our bearded community. One other guy with a beard declined to be in the photo as he said his beard was unworthy of such august company. He was right.


A few patrons enjoying that close feeling traditionally associated with holidays, visitors and alcohol.

And so 2009 continues. This afternoon is yet another party and because it involves people I love and who will be gone all too soon, and there is a pool to play in (beside the big pool we ALL play in) which is a novelty, of course I'm going! Seriously, it's friends first, pool second. Really.

And for the missed What's In This...Friday, let's go with an easy pleaser. Good ol' mac & cheese. And tuna. Because I am the only person I know who really doesn't like mac & cheese, so if you love it, leave out the tuna. Truthfully, I don't like tuna casserole either, but my kids say I made a great one (which is the last time I made it...and they are pro cooks so I'll take their word that it was good - it sure was cheap!)

So...here we go.

One 16 oz. bag either macaroni or noodles
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
16 oz. cheddar cheese, grated (or more, the more cheese the better!)- the sharper, the better (and no you canNOT use Velveeta, which is not cheese, it's the leftover bits and pieces from making velvet, that is mushed together with the stuff kids make glue out of for art projects and yellow food coloring...really; don't eat it, ever)
tuna (optional)
salt/pepper to taste

Cook pasta in enough boiling water to cover, until done (that means al dente, since macaroni will not stick to the wall the right way).
Drain water, put in butter, milk, and cheese, stir until cheese melts. You can quit right here and start eating, or you can grate some more cheese, put in an oven friendly pan and stick in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes or until the cheese starts browning on the top.

You can jazz this up with jalepeno's and any other meat type leftovers you have and want to use. You can add a couple of beaten eggs to it for more richness (added during the milk/cheese phase, while the mix is still hot - put it in the oven if you add eggs) . Remember the rules, it is GOOD to play with your food. Have fun!

This is good with a side of green peas. The fresh snappiness of the peas (even frozen green peas are snappy if you cook them right) works with the sort of comfort food softness of the pasta & cheese. Ever notice that most comfort food is soft and mushy, like...baby food? Then why is my comfort food sushi? Things I don't understand #58902

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment