Monday, January 5, 2009

Some (more) words


Tomorrow is Three King's Day, the official last holiday of the Christmas/New Year season around here. And it must be true, since I'm hearing tired, though very grateful, grumblings of locals about the crowds, the fast drivers, the trash. Yes, we're glad you showed up. Now...could you just chill out and pick up after yourselves? That would be lovely. Then we could be tired with smiles instead of tired with 'grrrrrr...'


So on this 5th day of January, your resolutions have been barely but truly tempted; how are you going with life? Reality will set in quickly, soon we'll have (not soon enough) a new President, and the regular ebb and flow of life will renew itself. I think the world needed a time-out, even though in many places, there was not only no time out, but an escalation of the insanity. Hold fast. Life is still very very good, when one considers the alternative (slightly trite, but mostly true).

I was going to open the cart tomorrow, though I've never opened on 3 King's Day before. I felt obligated somehow, as if my financial situation should override my sense of what this day is about here. Or what it used to be about. Anyway, before I got more confused, I decided I won't open. Instead I'll go watch the children open gifts from the Three Kings, see if the paso finos are going to be around and then head out on the water.


In the meantime, here are some quotes to ponder (or not) that I found and like, apropos of a new year. Happy 3 King's Day eve. May all your camels have grass to eat.

A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true. ~Gregory Scott Reid



Reduce the complexity of life by eliminating the needless wants of life,and the labors of life reduce themselves.
~Edwin Teale

There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living. ~Henry David Thoreau

I know I'm in my own little world but that's okay, they know me here. ~Unknown

Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you were put on earth to do with such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling. ~Vincent Van Gogh

Time in the wild reminds me how much of what I ordinarily do is mere dithering, how much of what I own is mere encumbrance. The opposite of simplicity, as I understand it, is not complexity but clutter. ~Scott Sander

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain. ~Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Three Kings Day.

    "Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise" ~Alice Walker

    "Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

    Here's a little flower for you--unexpectedly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am delighted with the bloom! Thank you, Ms. Pollyanna! all joy your way...mir

    ReplyDelete