Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Three King's Day


First, I cannot share photos because my computer ate my photo program, but it shall return, just unfortunately, not now (I managed to load up this photo with a program I'm very unfamiliar with and it took 15 minutes...I'll figure out how to get my old one back and share the many more I took for all of us today).

Second. I will say this quickly and hopefully without expounding on it too much. What a disappointment (overall) this Three King's Day has been. The Three King's (and there were only two kings, luckily we tagged the third at the last moment - and his performance was amazing!) did not come in over the sea, did not reign in the plaza, but rather in the muddy, newly cemented walkways of the children's park. Still wonderful for the children (especially the very young ones who don't know yet what they're losing in the old way by the sea), still well done, but the reasoning for this that I and others were told, for safety? Safety from what? This event has been held in the plaza for many years and no child has ever been hurt by horses that I ever heard about, and I've asked. I asked many local Culebrense and many were disappointed that tradition seems to have gone by the wayside.
And it continued. No horses in the ball field. No horses much at all. A friend of mine who I've shared 3 Kings Day with since I moved here (minus the first year, she hadn't moved here yet), asked around. More locals disappointed and wondering what was going on. And what WAS going on? Why is this being changed? Even Genesis was open half a day! I would have bet money it would be closed. And yes, I know the economy is grim for all of us, here and everywhere else, but still...to give in to the whole gotta make more...just seriously disappoints me as a newcomer and many who have lived here all of their lives. Another shame shame on you, Senor Mayor. Where is your heart for the people that you promised? They cry, you don't listen. Culebra loses her heart identity little by little and for what? Noise, chaos, children not knowing how their families used to live...how YOUR family used to live, Senor Mayor. What a terrible loss. May the Three Kings bring you the humbleness to tell the people you will make things right next year. Starting this year.

Ok. Point made. Tradition is going out the windows of time and it is sad.

But I do have some excellent photos...if I can get them onto my computer and thus...to your eyes! I'll be working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment