Thursday, April 30, 2009

Carlos and Rocky have left the building

Carlos and Rocky came to Culebra...a long, long time ago, it seems now. Carlos is the engineer for the sewer project (before you decide to draw and quarter him, he is NOT able to control the construction company, though god knows he tried). This is Carlos standing next to one of the vacuums. This is what is under each manhole cover. You know, the ones cemented shut that have been dug up about 10 times each? Even on his next to last day, Carlos was teaching me more stuff. He's like that.

Rocky is the environmental guy whose job is to oversee the installation of the sewer and make sure no violations are occurring. And he too is NOT in control of the construction company leaders or workers. Both of them have been always honest with me (their unofficial field reporter) about why everything is so screwed up around here, probably because the reason I met them is because everything is so screwed up around here.

I met them because of my little car dropping into an almost foot deep trench that was full of water and not marked at all. I didn't know who they were, but they could speak English and they seemed to care about my situation. For a long eight months they encouraged me, made phone calls for me, laughed with me, let me cry with them. Rocky would say, MJ, their job is to say No no no and your job is to make them say yes yes yes. They had no connection with the company I was trying to get compensation from, and I know I was a pain in the butt(s) on occasion, but they never made me feel unwelcome or uncared for. I tried to do the same, but it was hard when usually when I saw them it was because of some new outrage being done around town...more holes, more safety violations that weren't just violations, but endangering to anyone driving or walking around. But still, they put up with me and usually with a smile.

Both of them bring their girlfriends here on some weekends, because they really do love Culebra, and both have very strong feelings about not being here for the finish of the project. Of course, by then they'll both have grandchildren and I'll be dead, but hey, a job is a job and when the boss says you gotta go, then it's time to go.

Today I told them both how weird it will be, that the next time they are over here, I won't be saying anything to them about something going wrong. Rocky smiled and said, "Yes you will, MJ, you won't be able to not tell us." Yes, he's probably right.
You tried your best, guys. I'm so glad I met you both and will welcome you both back with a grin and a hug. And I will give it my best shot to only talk happy talk. Really. If I can stop coughing long enough, I'll do that.

Ok, play the song now. I'll miss you.




Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)


Found at bee mp3 search engine

No comments:

Post a Comment