Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Now you see it, now you don't

The key word is now. As I was halfway in to town this morning, Treat of the Day in hand, or more, under arm in a carrier bag (Lemon Ginger Coconut Giant Muffins) and ready to go, along came a friend heading towards Zoni. She stopped and told me the guys were still working close to the cart. Surprise... So I followed my bliss, jumped in her Jeep and got a ride home, giving her half the muffins figuring someone might as well have them fresh. Going to work, not going to work. Now you see it, now you don't.

I had a whole day to play, though not with quite the same enthusiasm as yesterday...and that same amount less as the day before that. Truth is, I like my little stint in town, getting the mail, seeing friends, talking with good visitors, finding out what is going on. It makes it even sweeter getting back to Tranquillo, where the loudest noises, unless a party is going on next door, are bird song and pelicans splashing or today, with the wind coming up, whistling trees, a line on a mast banging, and wavelets on the stony shore. The birds are in high song, if not harmony. But somehow it works. Now you see it, now you don't.

With Bobby finally bringing over the new screen, I had no excuse not to re-make the screen 'door' such as it is. That took an hour or so and needed a hammer, a screw driver, needle and thread and a contortionist because of a weird tricky part on one side of the door that is not worth describing. What the screen 'door really is is a door sized piece of screen. I wrapped one end around a fat piece of lathe and screwed that into the top outside doorway frame, and a hem at the bottom that holds a fat piece of rope for weight. It looks a lot better than the cat slashed old one, but not good enough for a photo. But good enough for me. In fact, it is so new and so clean and so whole that I am not sure it's really there yet. Now you see it, now you don't.

It's still only mid-afternoon and cool with the breezes. I fixed the rockingness in the dock, which means finding the perfect stones and rocks to even things out. That made taking a shower a wonderful idea...clean and the air still cool and getting cooler as the sun moves toward the west. I'm savoring every second because it won't be long before breezes will only be moving super-heated air and any sweat on my body won't even dry.

We're definitely having some stretched out coolness in the weather, which my daughter in Oregon says is happening there, going from blooming Spring back to cold and drizzly (no, I won't say I told you so...I won't, I won't I...). I'll stick to our weather, where I'll take super-heated air over grey drizzly skies any day...well, almost any day. Anyway, I thought it would be a great time to bake and headed over to Genesis to pick up some baking items only to find they are closed, for a second day. One day of being closed without it being a holiday causes me to wonder; two days causes me to worry. I hope everything and everyone is alright, but I fear something is wrong. I hope it's me. And so those plans, visions of muffins or bread dancing in my head, flew away with the suddeness of a pin prick in a balloon. Yes, now you see it, now you don't.

So...I guess I'll just have to go read in the gazebo, with the CWIM taking her usual chair in front of me while birds fly and sing. Now you see me, now you

No comments:

Post a Comment