Friday, April 10, 2009

What's in that...Friday and more

I've been having a happy time online this morning finding wonderful world tossed bits and pieces. One I found was an independent band called 'the boy least likely to' out of Britain. This song just seemed...pretty perfect for how I feel a lot lately, so here's a taste. I'll be adding more sites, recipes and photos as the day goes along, so come back, y'all, hear?


Every Goliath Has Its David from The Boy Least Likely To on Vimeo.

(check out the First Snowflake video for some gorgeous Scottish scenery - and some pretty lovely lyrics as well)

Lyrics ~

I’ve got a little bag of marbles and a catapult
Wound around my fingers, and I feel very small
But I could make myself big, if I wanted to
There is nothing courageous about anything I do
I’m trying to balance on an upturned milk crate
As I fumble with my catapult
And my hands are trembling as I try to aim
But every Goliath has its David
And I know kung fu
And I’m not afraid of you
Cos I might be small
But I’m not a coward
I’ve got puppy powers
That I’m not afraid to use
My fists are balled up in the pockets of my anorak
And I’ve got a pea shooter hidden behind my back
All I need to do is sit and wait to be attacked
If I thought that it would make me happy then I would
Tie a handkerchief to a stick and surrender
But that isn’t what I want to do
I will never live up to my expectations
Every Goliath has its David
And I know kung fu
And I’m not afraid of you
Cos I might be small
But I’m not a coward
I’ve got puppy powers
That I’m not afraid to use
I’m trying to balance on an upturned milk crate
As I fumble with my catapult
And my hands are trembling as I try to aim it
But every Goliath has its David
And I know kung fu
And I’m not afraid of you
Cos I might be small
But I’m not a coward
I’ve got puppy powers
That I’m not afraid to use


And now to the oh so central part of What's in that...Friday. Oops! Once again I ate the meal last night and forgot to take photos. You get the leftovers, though they were also pretty darn fine.

The meal was brought to me mostly by the veggie guys (who thoughtfully came in for both Wednesday & Thursday since Good Friday in this part of the world means everything is closed). This is a selection of some of what I got. The lettuce, sprouts & cukes are from the veggie guy's finca. Those cute little onions are called ' "piccola cipolla" which is "little onion" in Italian. More info from the veggie guy! Small onion, big taste. The tilapia was in the frozen section at Cheli's (along with the squid and tuna...ALL good!).

Tilapia filets (4 nice sized filets for less than 5 dollars at Cheli's)
Corn on the cob
Salad (leaf lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, sprouts, tomatoes & chives from the garden)

So altogether, an incredibly good meal that cost maybe 2 dollars, since there was enough left from each item for at least another two meals.

While the easy thing would have been to grill the fish and corn, that wasn't happening when I realized I was out of propane. So I marinated the fish in a citrusy marinade and then sauteed it. The corn I boiled. The salad...well, if I have to describe how to make a salad, you have other things to do beside read this blog. For a dressing, I used a few drops of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper.

Today I thought I'd take some of the leftover fish and make a smoked fish spread for a sandwich. I put the fish in a bowl and fork broke/mashed it. I have a bottle of all natural liquid smoke so I added a few drops to the fish, along with a few bits of red onion, and one minced hot pepper. Along with a sliced tomato picked off the vine, it was a perfect and filling lunch. And I still have fish leftover! One of my goals this year would be that I make the bread, catch the fish and will have all of the veg from the garden, satisfying on many levels.

And some bon mots for dessert~~~

Magic in the mangroves

From the mini-hilltop

Something you won't see a dog do...cats are weird

I had to add this shot...what a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment