Wednesday, September 29, 2010

So we took a walk today...

...and I don't think much explanation is needed other than the fact that I like graveyards. A lot, in fact. As does my daughter Sarah, so she took me to her neighborhood graveyard, the Lone Fir.

This is the oldest graveyard in Portland and rather big. So big in fact, that though she's been there a number of times, she's missed a couple of good ones...some we found today. I realized later that we both missed some really good ones, mentioned in this article. We've decided we'll call the number in the article and ask for a tour. They have a spooky one for Halloween, but I won't be here then.

For now...we liked these stones, some much more than others. We like the peacefulness, we liked the shoes and shirt lying by a tree...with nobody in them. It's a personal call, this liking of graveyards; you'll have to decide for yourselves. All photos can be clicked on to enlarge.

The trees are amazing here!

The following headstones are known as WOW headstones, for Woodmen of the World. That does not mean they were loggers, as I thought. For the unusual story behind these unusual headstones, click here. Whatever they are as an organization, they sure left behind some ornate and unique stones for their more affluent members.




Guess this guy had a pretty big policy!

Sarah had told me about this but seeing it was lots better! 

The hands are used a lot on gravestones here; 
there is something very tender in these stone hands

He looks so bemused and she looks very stern

I love the inscription...I think I would have liked them too

King Jackson, RIP

Sad story by the dates...

The Asian section is at the far end of the graveyard.The stones
are simple and beautiful, with this large, rather ornate exception

 'We Loved Her' - what else matters?

Just that simple

This is the headstone from the back...check out her facial expression.

 And from the front - newlyweds, maybe?

Russian gravestone fads

 And then we went to Zuban's - a most unusual store combining gourmet 
with pedestrian in almost random ways...well, until you get to the vinegar aisle

If anyone I know has a 200.00 bottle of vinegar around, 
may I taste it please? I'd really like to know what the difference is.

And I made zucchini cranberry muffins yesterday! They were a house hit and one I will definitely repeat at home, just not with Elijah's fabulous zucchini. But I'll call them Elijah's Zucchini Muffins anyway, because his produce inspired them. And just because Mom's are like that - sometimes.



Have a wondrous Wednesday. Do something wide.

2 comments:

  1. My wife Debbie and I love graveyards too. We have an old 50 acre graveyard that borders our backyard. We love to walk through it and look at the headstones. We have lived here for thirty years and have never had any problems with our neighbors. They are very quiet and seem very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 acres!!! Wow. Yes, that would be the perfect backyard to me, except for my own yard!

    ReplyDelete