Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Strolly Day in Kansas and Eagle Wings...

On the way to Sloane's tennis match we: dropped off contracts for a house, picked up contracts with work done on them, visited a friend of Michelle's she wanted me to meet, went into a little park called Old Town with some very cool old buildings that were moved to the spot, along with a mansion and botanical gardens...

The blacksmith shop  
(I was trying for a shot of the stone grinding wheel in the window, but this works)


Sushi before Sloanie's tennis match


This was a very cool installation on the Washburn campus - dogwood saplings

Sloane playing tennis

Because my son-in-law is one of the First People, he can legally possess eagle feathers, so he petitioned for some. Five years later, he got these in the mail, not just feathers but two wings! And I am lucky enough that today is the day he decided to start working with them (they've been in the freezer).


They came with no note and no identification except for his request, so we're guessing - until we can get online and research it - that these are the wings of an immature golden eagle, but I'm hoping we're wrong and that they are from a bald eagle.

got online...they ARE the wings of an immature bald eagle - this one is from 2008,
an approximately 2 year old bald eagle that got shocked by an electric line
 
Ryan isn't sure what he'll do with them, but the ideas are growing...we got as far as keeping one intact and plucking the other one for ceremonial something or others...Today we'll go get the materials to preserve them. Cedar to build a box, wire and nails to stretch them out in the box. Cornmeal will be on the bottom, then the wing(s), then more cornmeal on the top. And then a month or so later...not as funky smelling eagle wings!

So we're off to do errands and then, when they are totally defrosted, we'll fan them out and I'll take photos...are you as excited as I am? Oh and yes, touching them felt shiver inducing goose bumps holy - we both felt it [*gasp* did you feel that? Yeah!!]; we could feel the flight of the bird...it was a very wow experience and we're looking forward to more of that. How clever of my daughter to marry a Potowatomie...that I adore, and who likes me pretty well too.

Have an excellent day...I'm going to get my face sandblasted in a bonding moment with my daughter. I'd rather be playing with eagle wings...

2 comments:

  1. leave the damn eagles alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, someone did not leave the eagle alone (where the wings came from). It was shot and killed by an unknown person. At least now its life is being honored. The other eagle was a rescue.

    ReplyDelete