Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Running Late Walking

This walking is becoming addictive. Let me be clear here. I don't race walk. I just walk. Maybe a little more quickly than what would be considered normalo around here, but I stop a lot too. A photo here, a 'whatthehellisthat' there. Friends drive by, we chat a moment or two. Tourists drive by and sometimes ask for directions. But while I used to only walk to get where I was going and usually get a ride doing that, this is just because walking. Sometimes I incorporate a mission into the walk. My walk, my rules.


There is no goal here except getting off my butt after being on it for so long with elbow issues. As I swing my arms a refrain of 'No pain! No pain!' sometimes burbles to the top and I realize how much I am grinning. A lot. That whole no pain no gain thing? Really? I think if you have to go to that level to be fit and healthy, you are doing something wrong in your every day life, but that is just me. Take it from anyone who has lived with chronic pain, all you gain is a very weirdly crafted fortitude you'd rather not have at all.

Oops, digression! How did that happen?

Some of these photos are not from walks, but just where I happened to be over the last few days. Maybe I'll walk this far regularly in time. But, I doubt it.



The point is...it is winter. It is breezy. It is not sweat your brains out hot. It is so incredibly blue skies, brief showers, crayola rainbows, scudding clouds, water changing  hues of blues and greens and greys and purples - yes purples - with the speed of literal light, that it can almost crush your heart and explode your head with the hugeness of oh wowness. Oh yes. Oh wow. And we live here and we notice, every day. We do.



I do love living by the water, but over and over again I realize that hillsides have a drama factor of quite a few points more. Good for visiting, but I can't maintain the mental altitude for too long without risking head implosion. You're welcome.




These next are so you can see the variety of moments possible in a few hours. Or a few minutes.





Sometimes it is just difficult to close my eyes. Like tonight, the full moon starts and runs full all night long. It's the apogee moon and if you've forgotten what that is, you can be reminded by going to Earth and Sky and reading all about it here.

In a year that holds a few super moons, this is just the opposite, with the moon appearing smaller (in your rearview mirror) than it truly is.  You can call it the Old Moon or the Moon After Yule, or for those in the far south - and they always seem to get the cool names - the Hay Moon or Buck Moon, the Thunder Moon or the Mead Moon. Really. The Mead Moon. What's not to love about that name? Who's got mead?

This could very possibly call for a moon dance.

Have a whispering of whimsy Wednesday. Do something wondrously wayward.

4 comments:

  1. watched the moon set this morning from the bay - incredibly large and lovely - thanks for the pics today, mj - and, Watch where you go Walking! :) m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was beautiful. My pleasure, sharing the photos, truly. And yes. Yes I shall.

      Delete
  2. 'the hugeness of oh wowness' I love it! Dr Seuss would love it too.

    ReplyDelete