Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tiny Home Tuesday Odds and Ends

This will be a bit of a mish-mash. I figure if you've been here awhile you already know that happens sometimes and if you are new, it's time you start getting used to the physics of my own particular chaos theory in action.

A reader and visitor here (to Culebra) sent me some photos from a trip he is taking, including Mendicino, CA, related to tiny homes or just homes in general. Maybe I should change this series to Titillating  Home Tuesday...

(photo credit for the following three photos: Robert Chamberlain)
He thought of me, he wrote, when he saw this. I hope that's a good thing. This houseboat has a serious coolness factor in need of some TLC, at least outwardly. Inside it may be a perfectly kept mini palace of awesomeness. What (also) really intrigued me are the windows along the bottom. Real short people? A basement? What's going on there?


This one and the following are in Mendicino. I'm not sure about how tiny this is, but I love the way it is put together, like a mini landlocked lighthouse of sorts.

I think this style would be considered a Salt Box. At least the wood looks salty, I'd have to taste it to be sure. Again, it isn't tiny but it looks very homey and welcoming to me. Of course, I want him to go back and get interior shots but...alas.

This was in one of those series of 'beautiful places' with no identification or even whether it exists in reality or in the mind of some clever computer person. I just know I like it. A lot.


I was on a walk the other day and came upon this collection of gorgeous trailers up in some hills. I don't think I've seen a collection like this outside of a show and yet, here they are, on Culebra. It was quite early in the morning and I had things to do so I didn't walk down up and over and wake people up (if indeed people were there) to see what the story was, but...that will happen one of these days. It's a pretty amazing sight to see.


This is one of the parcela  homes, way up on a ridge. I wasn't climbing up there to get a shot of the front or chat with the owners. I take walks, not treks.

There is one corner (well, not just one but this one I know well) where trash barrels regularly get dumped by dogs or wind or careless tossing of trash. I saw this solution the other day and applauded; this is the sort of thinking that thrust the tiny home movement forward in the first place. Simple, looks good and it works! Pretty well anyway, human error happens. Good job!

Have a tell your own tale Tuesday. Do something tenaciously.

p.s. If you don't read the Tiny House Blog already, you should check it out today. What a place Christiana sounds and looks like!

2 comments:

  1. Airstreams on Culebra, amazing! My grandparents had an Airstream, when I was young, that they would take to the Mojave Desert and stay in while they built their retirement home. Airstreams are beautiful campers, polished aluminum outside, beautiful interiors. There is a whole counterculture of Airstream owners, mostly seniors I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty odd. I'm not positive they are Airstreams (usually that is in metal lettering on the back or side) but they are sure Airstream like. I'm hoping to find out more. There was an old one at the DRN building someone was restoring years ago, but that's not what is going on here. Definitely an Airstream culture, I think more seniors because they're damned expensive, unless one is very handy at restorations.

    ReplyDelete