Thursday, January 16, 2014

See? See! Si.

Obviously, loving this natural world around me and having great enjoyment taking photographs to share what I see, I put a lot of power into being visually aware. And then, every once in awhile, the universe just holds up a little sign that says, Hello, you are not awake! Perhaps you'd like to wake up. Hello!!! Taptaptap.

That's what happened yesterday. I was on the phone (which, to tell you the truth, will most likely never feel like a phone to me. It just isn't a phone. It does too many things and I can hold it and walk around with it and...well, it just seems like anything but a phone - I wish it was called something else - The Not Orange Juice Can Communicator maybe)...

Ok, I was on the NOJCC and walking down the outside stairs when I paused for a moment and looked ahead of me, rather than at my feet (which I do on stairs to avoid hurting or breaking anything  and that's a good thing, most of the time). I look ahead and see this tree. Right in front of me. Right where it has been in front of me on the maybe 75 times I've been up and down those stairs. The person on the phone  endured my semi-yell of discovery - he knew it was there since it is his home, and that way we could both oooohhh and aaaaahhh together. The name rainbow eucalyptus was new to him; a fun thing to give a name to something he already enjoyed.

The only reason I knew that name was because, way back in September when I was in Michigan at that fabulous conservatory the woman who was curator there told me about the one they had, a sapling that we never found. I had looked them up, because her description was so extraordinary and the name and description stuck. And here was one. Right here in front of me.


Articles on the rainbow eucalyptus all sound just about the same, where it originates (the Philippines), what it is uses are (mainly, horrifyingly, pulpwood!), where it also grows (lots of places, Puerto Rico got them sometime in the 50's). This article is specifically about them in Puerto Rico and mentions a building that a specimen is in, but...not where the building is. Someone needs to go back to Research Paper Writing 101. I'm pretty sure the reference is to the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, if you'd like to go see their trees.




While this tree is not at all a sapling, its potential is 200 feet with a six foot girth. I won't be around to see that, so I'm enjoying it now. Worthy of having a picnic at its feet, breaking a few leaves for aromatics...while the pig next door sings. More on that another time.

I leave you with this. Why people want me to house sit and care for their homes and animals rather than their children. Wise decision.

 
You won't...what? Oh yes you will! Don't misjudge us old people. We didn't get to be old by giving up! I love you, K!


Have a turnaround Thursday. Do something teleporting.

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous tree - no more so than yourself, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?? And thanks for the compliment, my inner rainbow is glowing.

      Delete
  2. Hey there! So I am visitor to your beautiful island on a fairly regular basis ( I was there last week!) and some how managed to never get the name of the painter on the island that was making all those fantastic paintings until this last time. Mark the Painter. Ever since i've been travelling there ive loved his work but "spaced" on getting his information. If you have a contact for him or if you could pass along my contact that would be much appreciated. And once again I look forward to getting to come back there and am perpetually jealous of everyone that gets to enjoy that amazing island on a daily basis. All the best. Nick Cary nick.cary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nick! There really isn't a contact for Mark except to get word to him but I'll pass along your info when I see him next. He's truly a gifted man artistically.

      I'll just pass this along to you also - I always worry when someone puts their email or phone number in a comment (or anywhere online in public, private is bad enough these days) for fear of them getting spam, so if that happens from being here, I'm apologizing in advance!

      Delete