Sunday, October 5, 2008

What I do (sometimes) on Culebra


Island Woman MJ. What is that about? One day, taking hot sauce I'd made to my friend Laurie and her little cart on the corner, she asked me if I'd be interested in buying *the cart*. Oh yes...I was very interested!

When I first came to Culebra, three years before that day, I'd seen the cart on the corner by the bridge - which is its official address by the way 'By the Bridge' - and thought, that is the coolest thing! At the time, Monika owned it; she'd bought it from Serge and Sandra (who created it and now live in Thailand). It was full of jewelry and art and Monika was making jewelry or henna tattoos or mobiles. Then she and her husband Zach bought Mamacita's - the restaurant. Laurie, who had a spice shop, bought the cart. The stock changed to all things chile: sauces, dish wares, snacks, and more. I was making hot sauce at the time, selling it out of my yard and to a few restaurants (thanks, Neil, Feddy and Alicia, Susie, Pincho Joe and Glenn, the Lali Dama of hot sauce). Laurie asked if I'd sell her some of my Island Woman sauces and the answer was, of course.

Deciding it was time for her to move to Maine, she sold the cart to me. It was, at the time, named Saucy Contessa....which I am not. We all tossed around names at the bar, but I am, by no stretch, a Hot Mama, a Wild Hot Girl or any of the suggestions that came along. Island Woman. Maybe a bit lacking in the explosive sense, but much more me than anything more clever I could think up.

Clever was Monika's stroke of genius in painting the front of the cart with the oh so very true motto Open Somedays Closed Others, in response to Zach saying she needed to post her hours. Photographed at least as much as Flamenco Beach, I am considering a photo fee...for being closed (not really...yet). Each year, Mark the Artist repaints against the weather, adding a new bit or two or three (last year it was wine bottles in the sand - how did he know...hmmm - this year a snappy new hammock design) and it continues. The stock is now a combo of hot sauces, jewelry, and art, changing as whim and findings take it.

Nick, who passes the cart almost as often as Carlos, always has a pertinent word for me, depending on what is going on at the moment. Sometimes it's a (too) social corner. Sometimes I'm fighting mosquitos. Sometimes I'm fighting a nap ("Wake up, MJ!"). Sometimes I'm drinking champagne or an icy beer someone brings over. Sometimes I'm actually busy selling things. Right now, being as it's the s l o w season. Nick's latest comment was "Has anyone ever told you you are an eternal optimist?" It's been mentioned, but not in such nice words!

4 comments:

  1. Now we know! In true ESP fashion, Lewis and I were recently (just this past weekend) trying to piece together the chain of ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there you go, now you have the provenance of the cart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Sis, I love the picture, and am happy you found a corner of the world to be happy on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, bro, I hope you read the new ones too! Somewhere I and II...we got it!

    ReplyDelete