Friday, October 3, 2008

The weather, the road, the horse

I woke up in the dark and woke up again in the dawn to weather that made me think, nothing really to write about today, another pretty day with blue skies, fluffy clouds, north swells...until about 30 minutes ago when suddenly a gust came that shook us up. A look at the sky that had been deep blue moments before showed a trail of almost black clouds from the east to the south, while north & west were still blue and fluffy. The temp dropped. It seems this system is sliding by us to the south at a good clip and we may not get a drop of rain out of it...which, truthfully, is okay.

The trench that ate my car and has me walking again to town is the cause of daily road rage in my spirit, but it increases when the rain (or the water pipes that spring leaks due to incredible pressure changes..they haven't gotten it right yet) makes the deeply rutted (trenched) road a mad dance to navigate, by car as well as by foot. No one in a vehicle tries to hurry me in my *1 to the left, 2 to the right, 3 down the middle of the road cha cha cha* if they are behind or in front of me, either glad they aren't walking or stopping to give me a ride. I keep kind of hoping one of the off island workers will indicate even a flicker of impatience so I can vent, but they don't. I know it's ridiculous, but the combination of horrible road work, terrible construction practices and now the new one, via the word of one of the clinic nurses, an outbreak of hepatitis due to breathing in every foul thing that this digging (and not covering quickly enough) has provoked, gets me as uptight as a country girl driving in NYC (which I have experienced, but that passes fast enough on the here to there drive; this doesn't).

One beautiful thing today...the pregnant horse that grazes in the now unused building's lawn across from my cart had her baby...so cute, so tiny, prancing after Mama on the grass... and yes, there was more than one random act of strange wonderfulness...some guy I didn't know stopped to talk. He then opened up a package and cut me off a chunk of Monchego cheese...how nice was that...but he was right; we should have had some nice riojo along with it.

3 comments:

  1. MJ has a blog! Sweet! I feel like I am on Culebra due to all this new techie stuff; now I have another one to follow in addition to Bill's blog and Doug and Sheryl's blog. Yippee! You might enjoy this blog as well - http://www.foodshedplanet.com/

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you found it when I was still in playing mode!! Uh oh...shhhhhh, I'm still working on this big time and no one was supposed to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blame Google! It showed up on my Alerts! I only told Lewis - promise!

    ReplyDelete