Thursday, September 8, 2011

Some Things I've Seen on My Way Out of Portland

How could we go wrong on this street? No way!
Yesterday Sarah and I went walking after an appointment she had. We'd taken the bus to the cross streets, but decided to walk back. Well, meander back, it was hot (yes, it was). The bus system here is great and the bus rides themselves are mini excursions into the unexpected and at times, surreal. There are the Talkers, the Crazies, the Normals. The Tragically Hip and the merely tragic. The Beauties, the Tourists, the Tired Workers, along with the Mommy's, the Handicapped, and Sarah and Me me, who felt  probably a combo of all of the above. But like many others, I was one of the Observers. No photos, I'm not that bold. Yet.

We stopped at the Bonfire for a mini lunch, mainly because Sarah told me they had excellent Bloody Mary's and good food. The thing is, there are literally dozens and dozens of choices of places to eat around here, and I'm only talking this area of Portland. It's insane, really. We walked by at least 10 other places, but the promise of a great Bloody Mary led my direction. And they were good, with a slice of spicy hot dill pickle as part of the garnish, my mouth was on fire, not an easy feat. So I THINK the drink was good...the pickle sure was. The spicy shrimp was tempered by an ahi taco and we staggered away replete.

 
 One of of those look and look again sights. And then you look again. 
Ayup, it isn't a tree on the porch, it's HER!

 Confidence. It's a beautiful thing. Sometimes.

Me "Sarah, what's that?" Sarah laughing, "It's art." Me "Oh.Right."
 I was scared to get any closer, especially when I realized that very fuzzy pink thing 
inside was moving. Maybe it was a head. Maybe not. I didn't need to know.

 I could do a whole coffee table style photo book on the bikes of Portland. But it's probably already been done. If you don't go for leopard skin, how about carved wood fenders? It's difficult to tell how beautiful those fenders were; you'll just have to trust me. See above.

 Anyone from Culebra will know why this sign was worthy of a photo. I almost cried.

 These people had an amazing veggie garden in their front yard, with a sign saying Help Yourself! so we did. The cherry tomatoes...oh my, the BEST I've eaten in many years and there were thousands of them. I wanted to pitch a tent but Sarah suggested we move along. Kids. Harrumph.

 There was only one of these, so we didn't snatch it.

 This is in an alleyway. I'm having a sort of deja vu here, wondering if I took this photo last year, because it's a Culebra, of course, but did I see it or not? 
If so, it certainly weathered the winter rains well!

This is the sort of thing that is all over the place here; a perfectly normal looking home, maybe even beautiful, but some kinky, nutty wacky, funny, wonderful silly thing will be there. Just because of...who knows?? What would I know about that sort of thing?

Here is a snippet from one of Rob's other bands - in the basement
It's hard if not impossible to see the kitty, but he's there, rocking out - 
he loves the keyboards in a flying leap fashion

Tonight I'll get on a plane and then another plane and then another plane, eventually landing me at the airport in San Juan. A friend has graciously offered a ride to Isla Grande and then Air Flamenco will take me HOME!!! Whatever happens with Maria, I'll be ahead of her, but keep a close eye on her. The track has shifted from whatever she will be  - an open wave, a tropical storm or who knows - from 90 miles away from us yesterday to 16 miles away this morning. More changes are sure to come. Hopefully the blowing apart change, but that is not expected presently. As ever, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I'll just be very glad to be sleeping in my own bed, with my own cat nearby. It's been a great trip, but there's no place like home!

Have a tender Thursday. Do something terrific.

2 comments:

  1. As a fiery foods vet, you've probably heard of this before, but just in case, here's a link to the makers of my once a week guilty pleasure, served with a big old corned beef and swiss from Pickle's Deli. Love the sheen it leaves on my forehead and eyelids!

    http://www.rt11.com/cfmodules/ObjMgr.cfm?Obj=ChipDetails&SiteSectionID=8004

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of them but they sound great!

    ReplyDelete