Wednesday, September 14, 2011

While Back on The Rock...

The blossoming things, grasses and uh, other green stuff happily growing in jungle like (minus Dr. Livingston, I presume) proportion in my yard while I've been away have become heaven for the wild chickens. And apparently a few horses enjoyed themselves here while I was away, leaving their clues in the middle of overgrown pathways for my slender soled flip flops to find. Flop would be the word... 
Without getting into a discussion on the various types of manure (because I have a vivid imagination complete with olfactory input, and I'll guess you might too), I will say that I'd rather step in horse apples than say...a cat's output. Fortunately, my cat is thoughtful enough to not leave anything for me as a surprise other than the occasional rodent. And that's her job, so how can I complain? Oh yeah, digression is rampant here, just like my yard.

 I see you, lady chicken! Yes I do.

 This is from an orchid that went wild and then when I was moving it, the biggest branch above broke off. I stuck it in a planter (with the still happy rosemary, hooray!) 
and so far, it's still making me visually happy. Orchids are tougher than some think. 
So are people.

Even while I was in the states, I was hearing about the sargassum that is inundating the islands. It piles up, it floats away, it comes back. It covers the bay in small floating mats (not as heavily as when I sailed through the Sargasso Sea, one of those life list things ,completely living up to my imagination and beyond), feeding birds and sea critters. I wondered if it was edible and found a plethora of information about its nutritional value claims, including everything from thyroid regulation to aphrodisiac properties. But apparently, it's low on the seaweed totem pole for taste, classified as 'survival food' and 'bitter'. Bummer. I guess I won't be making any bread with it...

The helliconia are bright in a sea of green

The other day, when it was almost chilly and raining in the drifting wake of Maria, I was at Dinghy Dock watching the fish and catching up on the goings-on while I was gone. Out of the kitchen were coming sausages and wings, Sunday football goodies (at a great price I might add, in case you like that sort of noshing) when Neil suggested I might want to try his sancocho, a soup/stew made with, in his version, pork and many root veggies in a wonderful broth. I said I'd try a small bowl. If that was a small bowl, wow! There was some home made pique to splash (carefully) on and I dug in. It was truly, in Neil's words, Puerto Rican comfort food. I didn't get a photo and I really wish I had, because it was beautiful as well as delicious. I gave out a few tastings and halfway through couldn't eat another bite, so shared the rest with my (and many others) favorite go-to guy, Mr. Gifford, who loved it as well. All this to say, if you are at Dinghy Dock on a cool and rainy day, ask if Neil has some sancocho hidden in the kitchen. You'll be glad you did!

On another food spot front, alas, also sans photos, Zacos Tacos - his web site is as wacky, weird and funny as the man - now has their liquor license and having sampled the margarita and many of the menu items, I can enthusiastically encourage you to check out that little marriage made in heaven. No doubt, I'll be sampling more offerings soon. You should too. Pork belly tacos? C'mon!!!

And now, back to bread baking. First batch out! Whole grain bread, anyone? Rosemary garlic next!


Have a welcome home Wednesday! Do something wakefully.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark. I missed Maria and she missed us for the most part, so it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete