Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Fearful Life in Need of Love and Hope

I've posted a few of our satos in need of homes, in need of love, and I often do it for friends who are fostering these pups and older dogs. But yesterday, it got personal. Way too personal. I was at home minding my own business when I heard, 'MJ, come outside please!'. So I did.

And there was a neighbor, a young woman I particularly like, holding, by the scruff of the neck, a small puppy, maybe around 8 weeks old. I'd seen this puppy just the other day (maybe you have too), rooting around the dump with its two siblings, the mother trying to herd them up and finally she did, heading up the road, the road I always see her coming down. She is a sister to a dog another friend of mine rescued and according to her (the woman, not the dog), this is the third litter she's had. God knows what happened to the other pups. Maybe they were rescued, maybe not. But Mama, so far, hasn't been fixed. It's on the list.

I heard how my neighbor was heading over to her Mom's when she was passed by a boy and girl, one on a bike. She watched them throw something into a trash can and was pretty sure it was a puppy. She went and looked and it was a puppy. Not a dead puppy, but a little guy, still alive, looking up at her with those heartwrenching puppy eyes...so she came to me. (Why, I don't know as I'm pretty famous for not liking puppies. I'm kidding, sort of. But do NOT drop a baby on my doorstep!) She already has a rescue dog and couldn't take him, much like most of the people I know. I called AWC (Animal Welfare of Culebra) and was told they didn't know anyone who could help either. What to do?

I did what I always do when I need help with an animal, I called Teresa, who is already fostering 5 dogs plus her own 4 or 5, I've lost count (all rescue dogs) plus all of her rescue cats. I knew she'd take him if I refused, but I could do this, for a couple of nights anyway. She came over with some vitamins and medicine and advice and a large crate and newspapers. She came over with love. She says he looks really good, considering his start in life, and in fact may be one of the more healthy pups she's come across.  I can keep him another night, but I really reallyreallyreally need to find someone willing to foster this puppy! Why can't I keep him? For various reasons, it's just not the part I can play in helping out with the critters here,. With this exception. For now (and no, Steph and Kelli, he isn't named after any drink - I did this one with eyes wide open, this time!)

He's already almost close to housetrained, as in he sets up a noise when it's time to go. I didn't speak puppy speak the first time, but I think I've got it figured out now. You will too!. He eats dry and wet food, drinks water, no special feeding needs with this guy. Nothing but some love.


If you can find it in your home and heart to foster this little guy, please get in touch with me! Via email at caribemj (at) gmail.com. You can also contact Teresa at teretall (at) yahoo.com. Thanks!! 


Have a tip your heart over Tuesday! Do something thankful.

6 comments:

  1. Keep the dog
    Get rid of the word verification

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my island friend, I'm planning on just the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Kids did that? Great parental guidance they are getting. I hope this cutie finds a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debbie, sadly, kids (they weren't LITTLE kids, thankfully) did that. I can't say anything about their parents, I don't know who they are or who their parents are, but as a parent, I know that sometimes kids do things regardless of their parents influence on their lives. I hope he finds a home too!

      Delete
  4. You are a GOOD person to help this little guy out. We already have two rescue dogs so I am not even going to suggest a third to my husband. We were supposed to be a one dog family till we stumbled across Loretta, our newest family member. She is so homely I was afraid no one else would take her in. We are a two dog home. I totally understand and respect that you realize a dog is not a good fit for your life at this point. If more people were this honest with themselves we would have less "throwaway" pets. I can't take in anymore dogs but I do contribute $$ to AWC and I preach spaying and neutering wherever we go.
    Take care, Karen

    P.S. John, myself, Sunny AND Loretta made it as far North as the Long Beach Peninsula, WA on our coastal camping trip you helped us with. Heading South again next week and back to reality/work on December 1. Looking forward to revisiting some places..the Redwoods!!!!on the way back home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking in a homely dog for fear she wouldn't be taken otherwise defines a good person to me, chica. I'm not a particularly good person, but I do know when I don't want my ass kicked by the good people I know! Hopefully someone will have room for this little guy in their lives.

      So glad you had a great trip! Yes, I could spend a lot of time in the Redwoods...so amazing!

      Delete