Monday, November 26, 2012

Just Because It's Monday...

...doesn't mean I still don't have Sunday on my mind. Not that there was much going on, in fact, there was pretty much nothing going on. At least for me. For a Sunday, that's not a bad thing. Then, I think about it and realize that wasn't quite so.

At some point in the timeless day, Walt and Justin came by to work on docks. My little dock had had a run in with a storm while I was away. The storm only partially won, but enough to make the dock unusable. I tried to fix it, without success. But it would have been a good video.

In the meantime, Walt's floating dock, which is accessed by my non-floating but now floating dock, had broken away from its moorings as well. It sounds much more confusing than the visual. When it is done I'll take a photo. Sort of like the porch. Patience, Prudence.

(In the Other Meantime, this is a reminder to all who need to be reminded - usually those of us who shouldn't need to be reminded: just because something is anchored with a deeply set sand screw, doesn't mean it is really secure. There. Consider yourselves reminded, not only about the physical laws determining wear and tear on lines, shifting sands and inexpertly tied knots, but the metaphysical implications of...never mind)

The best part of all of this is that I get to walk out on my dock again and see another view of the view. I get to join the teeny crabs who crawl between the planks; peer between the board cracks and see if the lobsters have returned. Fish a little farther out of reach of rocks and mangrove roots.

So yes, something did happen yesterday. Something big for something so little.

It might be getting near time to get my dinghy back in the water, now that she has someplace to live again.
While Walt and Justin slogged about the duffy bottom of the bay, CWIM tasked herself with holding up a porch support. She really does this well and I'm pretty sure in another life she was a lion gargoyle on some ancient building holding up the roof. More likely she was a real lion, coddled by some spoiled princess who gave her tidbits of now extinct animals I'd be ashamed to know about. Not that she ate them, but that they were fed to her, if you follow that reasoning. More things that don't worry cats. Obviously.


With the holiday weekend (Thanksgiving, remember?) that started last Tuesday around here, there were plenty of boats rafted up in the usual places. In fact, it seemed like more boats than in the last few years, which is a good sign. If you want to know about the real state of the US economy, all you need to do is notice what our popular anchorage sites look like over holidays. I would be willing to bet there is a very close correlation between sturdiness or lack of it in the economy and how many boats show up here. Ok, some PhD candidate with an eye for a weird economic thesis, I have just handed it to you.

Heading back to the big island after a weekend of debauchery good family fun

While the rain held off yesterday, we did have a rolling weather scenario of sun and overcast going on. I liked it, as the air did not reach the exploding steam bath stage. It is staying warm much later than normal (I'm sure someone will say, 'oh MJ, it's always like this at Thanksgiving time' and maybe they are right but it seems warmer to me). On the positive side, I am in the water in late November, something my water friends will agree is something I don't normally do (they do). On the negative side, my blanket looks really lonely on the shelf and I'm very ready for the day, or probably night, that I'll pull it down in all its light weight warmth, another seasonal marker. 


So I was wrong. Shocking, but your coffee either hasn't kicked in yet or is wearing off, depending on your time zone, so I'm doing you a favor. Yesterday was full of activity, both around my yard and beyond. Most good, some not so good, as I heard there have been some animal poisonings going on...make sure your critters are where they should be.

In a fantasy world, this would be my guest bedroom. (credit unknown)
In a fantasy world, there would be no one cruel enough to kill a animal or send men and women to war. But fantasies are for Sundays. It's Monday and I need to go.

Have a maverick Monday. Do something mischievously miscellaneous.

4 comments:

  1. Now that was a good piece o' writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be a guest in that bedroom! There are mosquito nets in it, right?

      Delete
    2. I don't see them around the bed, but that's an easy fix/addition. I'm more greedy, I'd like to have that, but okay, I'd settle for being a guest too.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Mark, for reading it!

      Delete