Thursday, November 29, 2012

Move On, Dot Culebra

Culebra, for many, has a special blend of work and play. I think it comes from the outrageously beautiful surroundings, the fact that a lot of us work sort of inside/outside (having much in common with the best bars and restaurants, oddly enough). When your geography grabs you, just because you've turned a corner, how good to be able to stop a moment and enjoy it. And then, if things work out the best way, to become part of it, sand on the feet, baby wavelets washing that sand away, a breathtaking vista in your eyes and soul.

This is either a wonderful rock formation or a pile of petrified dinosaur poop. You decide.
I'm not always sure just what I'm doing here, but when I open my eyes and see the water, when sleep fades and my ears can hear the birds (no, not just chickens), when the subtle change of season is making itself known by a cool breeze on my skin as the sun starts reaching into our day, I know I'm in the right place.

The painters were very busy yesterday. Another fine job. Thank you.
I have this 'thing' going on with my elbow; an old injury that, with age (the elbow, not me), has decided to have a loud say in how I go about my daily life. Around here, it's known because you can't walk around with a cast on your arm, supported with a sling, without a fair amount of comment. Hell, you can't walk around with a pair of new shoes without a fair amount of comment.

With the winter season upon us, I've gotten a lot of questions about when I'll be baking bread again and have come up with a number of imaginative replies. But the real answer is, after making one test batch to see if I'd be able to scratch my nose with that hand after whipping up six batches of dough, I've realized that I probably can't. 'Probably' because I really don't like saying anything definitively. There are still some things to check out and maybe that will change, but for now, that is not going to happen. There will be hot sauce! There will be (and are) eggs! And something not unduly stressing my arm will pop into my head one of these days, I know that. There is another hat out there just waiting to fit my head. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I can do a little here and a little there. And here is not bad at all. I'm still the luckiest woman in the world.


Have a tell yourself the truth Thursday. Do something terrifyingly, transparently trusting.

6 comments:

  1. "The painters were very busy yesterday. Another fine job."
    Reminds me of an old TV show (Lost In Space?) Where they travel in time, and every moment was a different set, like a film set, created by a group of people who build the set. However, and if nobody would see a particular part of a street, beach or anywhere on Earth, it was left unfinished, like a construction site.
    So, these guys are building the set, waiting for the moment to come. Then it came with a big whooshing sound. And the TV people were back in the normal flow of time again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can, sort of, relate to that. Lost In Culebra Space. That's about right!

      Delete
  2. I visited Culebra once, briefly, at least the waters nearby. On a US Navy destroyer. We were secretly delighted, and the Captain openly and vocally outraged, to hear that we would not be allowed to shell the island for 'target practice'! It was a beautiful green gem set in an azure sea; the first land seen after a few days at sea. A fond memory... Dana Lowe (friend of Bill Mann)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Dana, that's a great story! The US Navy did a lot of damage here, on many levels, but through the bravery of a handful of people armed with only love of Culebra and determination, the bombing of Culebra was stopped. You might enjoy (and be horrified, but we know the ending is good!) a book called Target Culebra by Richard Copaken, telling the whole story from the lawyer's perspective about what happened - a pleasure to read, not lawyerly at all.
      Hopefully you'll make it back sometime...changes yes, but green gem still. Love to Bill!

      Delete
  3. Does anyone here recall or ever heard that someone died in 1972 as the result of US Navy "war games" in Culebra? My husband saw a news report in 1973 or 1974 stating that people had been killed in Culebra or Vieques as a result of shelling or bombing by US Naval ships. The video actually showed the ship he served on, and ever since he has suffered from nightmares, sleeplessness, uncontrolled anger, etc. - in other words, PTSD. Anyone who has knowledge of any deaths or injuries to island residents in the 70's, please help us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't personally tell you of anyone by name, though I've heard some stories. The best suggestion I have is to go talk to Benjamin Perez or Digna. There are many others who know the stories but those two would have the best knowledge I know of right off hand. If you need more information on that, email me at caribemj@gmail.com

      Delete