Friday, November 9, 2012

Free Range Friday ~ Culebra

I've lately been addicted to a British television show on Netflix streaming called A Touch of Frost, based on the books of R.D. Wingfield (no doubt, I'd enjoy the books as well, but they've not made it to our library yet). As it ran for an incredible 18 years (1992 - 2010) I have plenty of it to watch; I may even finish it in my lifetime. The central character, Jack Frost, is inevitably eating a sandwich, or trying to in-between calls to solve murders, during each episode. They are a running theme in the show and I've found myself eating sandwiches more than I have since grade school. Because I have a lot of eggs, they debut more than occasionally and I thought they should be honored today.

Ah, the humble egg sandwich. Bread, toasted or not, an egg, some cheese and onion, mayo and horseradish, salt and pepper. That's not quite as humble as it gets, but it works.

You can have it sunny side up, whip it to a froth, or just break the yolk in the pan. That's what I do.


There are strong feelings about having a yolk dripping all over the sandwich or having it nice and tidy; I take the middle road of a bit of tidy a bit of messy. Sort of like life. My life, of course.

Toast the bread or don't toast it. In my book, it depends on how hungry you are. I was hungry.
I really do like an egg sandwich toasted more than not, but sometimes it's asking too much to wait. Because one of the joys of an egg sandwich is that you have something warm, with substance, yet it only takes minutes to make. If you make it like this, anyway.

On the other hand, you can tart up your egg sandwich with an almost endless array of extras. Bacon of course, is a natural. Tomatoes, lettuce are a plus as well. Or raise all that up a notch with arugala, hollandaise sauce, avocado. Capers, pimentoes, olives, chives, shallots. Smoked salmon, pancetta, sausage. Currying or herbing up the eggs. And don't forget the goodies holder, challah, biscuits, farm bread, rolls. Are you hungry yet? Is your eggy imagination giving a whirl?

Simple or fancy, for a quick bite or part of a champagne brunch, the egg sandwich, across the board, is as multi-faceted as a disco dance hall decoration and most likely a lot more satisfying.

If you have your egg sandwich at the beach, please take all your litter home with you!
Have a fill it up Friday! Do something forthcoming.

6 comments:

  1. 1. Better make that 3 dozen.

    2. I think I know the sign creator.

    3. Man, that anti spam gizmo is hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Lay, ladies, lay

    2. That is on St. Croix, but you might know the painter?

    3. I hate having that filter on there (it always takes me 5 times on other sites) and I kept it off for a long time, but started getting some really weird posts and it's been effective. Sorry about that! I don't want to personally have to vet each comment, not that I get so many, but it is one less thing to do. If the day comes when I am inundated in comments, I'll go to another sort of filter. That will be the day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried egg sandwich, not egg salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, Mark? Yes, fried egg sandwich, not egg salad. Though I like them too!

      Delete
  4. 1. Now I have to re-think Dylan.

    2. Not unless Jorge went there. NM

    3. No worries. It was an old-man whine.

    ReplyDelete