Saturday, December 8, 2012

Getting Lit Up on Culebra

Personally voted best tee-shirt seen all night
Yesterday was one of those 'flll 'er up' days on Culebra. Like a full service station it brought the necessary along with small but big surprises. You can't ask much more from 24 hours than that.

From a day that, for me, started before dawn and ended I'm sure not late, but late for my life, it kept bursting over with color, laughter, a few moments of good weird, and time to have longer stretches with friends I usually don't get much time with. Enough to catch up and move forward into the now.  I can feel myself miring down in trying to explain what can't be explained, so I think I'll just let the pictures tell the story.

 
First though, some cause for celebration on another front.

******NEWS******
 3,349 signatures were submitted to the Environmental Quality Board after only three days of circulation over a weekend.


Thanks to all who took the time to sign the petition! The incoming Governor, Alejandro García Padilla has said he will not support the windfarm, our incoming Mayor, Ivan Solis is considering a moratorium on major projects such as the windfarm and the Terruno debacle (no, Dubon brothers we haven't forgotten about you, or the destruction of Arte Fango either) until further consideration and legalities are looked at. We can say for now there is room for hope in keeping Culebra out of the hands of the Grinches.

After home chores, I had to go to town to run some errands. I'm so glad I did.

I have no idea what this plant is called, but the 'blossom' is pretty bizarre. Identify it, please?
The finishing touches were being put on the Christmas decorations for the Lighting later in the evening
My attempt to get to the PO was delayed because it would be closed for an hour and a half for lunch. I don't know the woman who was taking care of business while Howard and Tony are away (National Guard time? Holiday?) but at the appointed re-opening time she was there and ready to do business. Waiting left me just enough time to get into a little trouble hang out with Mike and Mark and Woody along with  a couple of great visitors from Maryland's Eastern Shore at the Sand Bar.

Benjamin's new wall painting
A peek down the stairs into Benjamin's magic workshop
Celebrating the instruments that make Puerto Rican music unique.
While most people are familiar with guitars and maracas, not as many might know about the guiro. From the blog Speaking Boricua is this description:

The güiro was invented by the Taíno, the indigenous people of Puerto Rico. Basically, it is a gourd that is emptied, then left to dry. Grooves are cut into the top, and holes lie underneath for the fingers usually. It's played with what honestly could be a hair pick, which is scraped quickly over the grooved area in both directions. This makes a loud, rich percussion sound.

photo credit - Terry Noxel
And the guitar is not always 'just' a guitar. There are many variations and you can read about them here.The cuatro is just one example, but a pretty prevalent one. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about this wonderful instrument.

The cuatro is the national instrument of Puerto Rico. It belongs to the lute family of chordophones (or string instruments). However, very little is known about the exact origin of the Puerto Rican cuatro. Most experts believe that the cuatro has existed on the island in one form or another for about 400 years.

From Amigos Del Cuatro

More instruments,  and how conveniently placed, because this is where the music would be happening later in the night!

Is that three wise men hanging over the Alcadia? I certainly hope so.
Why the celebration got moved from last weekend to this weekend - these wonderful miniature casas weren't completed until yesterday afternoon. Well worth the wait and I seriously want to move in. Unfortunately, there is a height requirement and while I'm pretty short, I'm not short enough for these.

Of course there has to be a lechon spit nearby!
Did I get everything I wished for this year in town decorations? Yes I did!


Yes, Virginia, there are Christmas trees sold on Culebra!
After all of the errands were done (and a few undone because my little side trip to the Sandbar got me a wee bit forgetful of the minor missions - I blame the Post Office, Mike and the holiday energy in the air), it was to home and then off to Flamenco Beach, to see Walt's fantastic palm hat making demonstration. I'm not exactly sure if Walt ever really made a hat for Matty's video, but it was fun in a Dinghy Dock seaside sort of way (translate - a pretty good way), with Steve bartending for more than a few of the usual suspects.

Culebra Wilson in a Walt hat
Francie in a Walt hat
It was closing in on dark and the hour of Lighting. Actually, it was past that hour but because we're all on pretty good terms with Culebra time, we knew we would probably get there just when we should. And we did. At 7ish, we were heading down the sidewalk and BING! the switch was thrown, the lights came on, and the party continued.

Ta da!!

We were oohing and ahhing these charmers when a woman standing next to us told us that her brother-in-law was the builder for both of the casas. With metal roof, workable shutters and doors and a Christmas tree inside, he did a fantastic job. It was nice to hear the pride in her voice and share the smiles.


Annabelle giving Santa an earful. Oh yes, Santa was there and, for some reason, so were Mickey and Minnie Mouse, live and in person. I'm guessing someone in charge was having a hard time letting go of the Disney theme from last year. The kids were loving it and it was just another Culebra moment of huh.
I met three women gynocologists who were at a conference on the big island and just happened to get over here for one day and night. They were all beautiful, smart, interesting women. One of them, I'm pretty sure, was a psychic, in a casually see into your soul and mention it sort of way. A bit disconcerting, a bit magnetizing. I couldn't decide if I wanted to become a patient, a client or get another drink. Taz brought me a glass of wine and solved the dilemma for me. I'm sorry I didn't take their pictures, just to be sure I really met them; but the phone camera is less than satisfactory in low light anyway. Some things are best left alone.

On the way home, I was feeling some hunger pangs and noticed the food truck was up and going for business. Lisa was there too and so I ordered what she'd ordered, a cheesy brocolli stuffed potato (yes, that is considered local food, so hush). I'm not sure it really took about an hour but it was long enough for Lisa and I to have some great catching up time.

And the day was done, a wrap, curtain down. Thank you, Culebra!

Have a satisfied with your situation Saturday. Let something happen seamlessly.

6 comments:

  1. What happened to Arte Fango?

    and

    this is a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The man who owns the property has evicted Jorge and plans to tear down the two charming buildings in order to build (illegally as far as the wetlands that make up the bulk of the property go) a three story hotel with parking underneath...in a spot about the size of a house lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, not to plagiarize, but This is a wonderful post. Ahhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks! Easy enough with the subject matter.

      Delete
  4. Wonder how many layers of paint are on Benjamin"s wall? Love the decorations. Thanks for all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it will be an archaeologists dream find one day. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

      Delete