Thursday, December 27, 2012

There's Gotta Be a Holiday Today

It seems impossible that there is not a holiday today in Puerto Rico, but I can't find one. Instead, I have to fall back on other traditions, which, as of course you already know, means that today is National Fruitcake Day. Really.




 Poor fruitcake. No doubt we all have our own experiences with them. Some people claim to like them. Or swear if we'd just try Aunt Mabel's recipe, we'd change our mind. My own fruitcake life was thus: My Dad raised us kids  and we didn't have grandmother's or aunties that would even consider making a fruitcake, so the idea of one didn't hold much association, good or bad. Then, when I was a teenager, my Dad remarried. This was a family that liked its fruitcake at Christmas time. Our good upbringing would come to bear and we would all silently chew and chew, while sneaking rolled eyes at our Dad. Then we'd say our thank you's and move on to something good to eat. I'm sure you have your own stories and you're welcome to share them here!

During Christmas in the Virgin Islands, a traditional treat is sweet bread,something like a fruitcake, but actually delicious. I haven't tried this recipe for it but if it is anything close to the various ones I have eaten, all made by older local women on St. Croix and St. Thomas, it's a great replacement for fruitcake! The writer of the article, Carol Bareuther, is steeped in all things VI, so I'm trusting she got the real deal recipe!

What I spent the early morning doing, instead of making fruitcake, was to finish putting together a hot sauce order. They all looked so pretty that I dragged a little table on top of the hill and took a photo of them. Alan, they'll be in the PO today, promise!!


Tomorrow is another official holiday, as we wind down the year and look forward to New Year's Eve, or Old Year's Night, choose your name.

In the meantime...this is my favorite fruitcake cartoon and my official acknowledgement of National Fruitcake Day.


Have a tasteful Thursday. Do something traditional.

5 comments:

  1. Hope I'm not too late - please save me a bottle of your hottest. Grassyass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fruitcake! My mom makes a great one, but these days we have to beg her to get around to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you love good food, Deb, so I'll take your word for it. Looks like you might need to take over the fruitcake duties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fruitcake would be the perfect food to send with them on the Mars Mission. Never goes bad.

    ReplyDelete